The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tiger lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Tiff,Turf or Carpet Grass ?| Next thread: Tiger Lilies »
Back to Thread index
by cLoud[GLPong] on October 30, 2005 03:03 PM
Hey all.. I recently purchased a tiger lilly plant, it's finished blooming and the petals are all falling off.. what I'm trying to figure out is.. whats the best way to keep it so i will come back next year, I know they are anuals ans have bulbs but i don't know how to preserve it (the same for gladiolus (outdoors). any help or suggestions.. or maybe a point in the right direction? thx in advance

- "i love this show!" - G.I.R.
by obywan59 on October 30, 2005 04:44 PM
Just plant it out in the ground, maybe dig in some compost and mix it with the soil in the hole before planting. I have a tiger lily, that comes back year after year. The same with gladiolus, I live in zone 6 and they say to dig gladiolus up each year, but mine are close to the foundation of my house and never have any problems coming back. Not even last winter when it got down to -5 degrees F.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on October 30, 2005 11:50 PM
Those should over winter alright, I would think..
Does your plant look like this style of lily???

Pink Tiger Lily

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on October 31, 2005 12:54 AM
I did read that if you have cold winters it's a good idea to put between 3 and 5 inches of mulch on glads. So I put three inches of mulch on all my bulbs it seemed like a good idea to me. I hope it works.

-
 -
by Cricket on October 31, 2005 04:15 AM
Cloud, Is the tiger lily outdoors or do you have it potted as an indoor houseplant?
by cLoud[GLPong] on November 01, 2005 08:27 AM
I have it planted indoors.. almost all my plants are indoor w/artificial light this ones by a window.. thx for the outdoor advice but i live in an apt. building so i cant plant in the ground. any other suggestions thx... and just so everyone knows it's cLoud (sea-Loud) [Smile]
should i just let the plant die (use all the nutrients then cut it down once all the foliage is dead and leave it in a cold dark place.. this is what I assume...
thx in advance
(p.s. - Yes we have VERY cold winters and yes that is my plant weezie, almost identical.. except mine is BRIGHT orange, and mine lacks the black dots on the petals)

- "i love this show!" - G.I.R.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tiff,Turf or Carpet Grass ?| Next thread: Tiger Lilies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: