The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hiya All! I need some help please.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Historical Site Photos| Next thread: hneysuckle in winter »
Back to Thread index
by TomatoGrl on June 09, 2004 12:59 AM
Hi everybody [wayey] , I was wondering if anyone could help me. I wanted to make a little garden with tomatoes and green peppers. I'm not sure how to go about doing this though [Embarrassed] [dunno] . I'd very much appreciate it if anyone would tell me the steps of how to do it. [thumb]

Thank you so much! [Wink]

P.S- I love the site. I know it will come in handy in the future! [grin]
by gardengal on June 09, 2004 01:37 AM
Tell us about your garden site... are you planning a raised bed? Container gardening? Full sun?

I am growing cherry tomatos and a variety of peppers all in pots because I've just run out of room. The best suggestion I can offer is to put cages around all of them, it makes for easier picking and supports the plant. Full sun is best, lots of water, but with good drainage, and chicken manure is a great fertilizer. More people will pop in and offer more advice, I'm sure so come back often. [grin]

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to spend your day! [wayey] I hope you can come back and chat!

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by TomatoGrl on June 09, 2004 03:44 AM
Hi, thank you so much for the reply. About that raised bed...is that the best way to do it? Also how would I go about making one of those? [Embarrassed] I'm not that great of a gardener. I just usually plant little flowers in the back yard. I enjoy it but don't know much about it [grin] .The area I'm planning does in fact get a lot of sunlight. It's a grassy area though so I probably need to dig that up then add top soil...?? I'm not so sure on that part [thinker]

Thanks so much for the help [wayey]
by Bill on June 09, 2004 04:34 AM
by TomatoGrl on June 09, 2004 04:51 AM
There's something I overlooked. Thanks for the Big hint [Embarrassed] I need to learn how to like reading, hehe. Thanks!
by @leisure on June 24, 2004 09:32 PM
Hi,
Just read your post about a tomato garden. My brother had a great idea which produced all kinds of tomatoes for him. Find a sunny area in your yard. Watch for a few days to make sure it gets lots of sun. Dig up a circular garden about 6 to 8 feet in diameter. In the centre, create a compost area by putting up steel T bars (posts for fencing) in a cirlce of about 4 feet. 6 T bars should do it nicely. 2 of the posts should face the back and be a little closer together as this will be left as the opening to put in the garden waste and household compostables. Fasten chicken wire around the outside of the posts. Don't forget to leave the opening, or, allow a way to fasten and unfasten the chicken wire to get at the compost.
Now in the outside area that is left, till the soil well and add compost if you have any or peatmoss to give you good starting soil. Plant the tomatoes beside the chickenwire and as they grow, just tie them to the chicken wire fence. (I use strips of cloth about an inch wide and a foot long torn from an old sheet to tie mine up. Don't forget to sucker the plants as they grow... ie snap out the stems that start to grow in the crotch of "branches" as the tomatoes grow. The peppers can be planted further out and to make it look nice and so I am told help protect the plants from some bugs, plant marigolds on the perimeter.
The compost as it forms in the centre feeds the plants, and next spring you have fresh compost to dig into the garden before you plant the new tomatoes.

Hope this has helped. Probably too late as you have most likely done your garden by now.

Happy gardening.
@leisure

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Historical Site Photos| Next thread: hneysuckle in winter »
Back to Thread index