The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jasmine Flowers!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Jasmine - how hardy?| Next thread: Jasmine help! »
Back to Thread index
by DragonYoga on March 07, 2006 11:53 PM
Hey all! I'm a newbie to this place, and I was wondering if anyone knew the right name for the type of jasmine that creeps as a vine? I went to Home Depot today, they only had the shrub and the minima versions.

Here's my landscaping/gardening idea: I have about 45 1/2 feet of space in my front yard, in a straight line, minus the driveway and the sidewalk. I want to put in wooden posts, string some wire through it and plant creeping Jasmine on that. Or should I get the chickenwire type for it to climb better?

Thanks!

Love As Thou Wilt
by patches1414 on March 08, 2006 01:20 AM
Oh, how I love the smell of Jasmine, it is so sweet. [Love]

I really like your idea, but I would probably string the wire through the posts instead of using the chicken wire fencing. I think the wire would be less restricting to the growth of the plants. Just my thoughts!!! [Smile]

Have a BEAUTIFUL day! [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 02:28 AM
Are you thinking about the carolina jasmine that isn't really a true jasmine at all? It is yellow and a good grown cover.

The arabian jasmine is the one that is touted as having the best smell and it's a vine but it likes shade so I'm not sure it will work for you unless your fence is in shade. It's a tropical and I usually see it as a house plant. It is very, very expensive.

The jasmine 'maid de orleans' is another possiblity that you might want to look into. It too is a vine.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 08, 2006 03:49 AM
another jasmine, confederate jasmine or star jasmin has white flowers, a great smell, and is a vine.
by RugbyHukr on March 08, 2006 06:58 AM
jasminum nitidum & jasminum polyanthum grow as spreading vines.

trachelosperm jasminoides 'star jasmine' is a thick leaved, drought tolerant creeper & climber.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by DragonYoga on March 08, 2006 09:44 PM
Rugby - you're not odd! LOL Being in St. Augustine, there are some old, old constructions here, especially in the Old Town/downtown area. There's one - the Ximenos - Fatimos House (sp?) and their stone gate, stone walls are mostly covered in jasmine. *mmm* I think it's the star jasmine... I'm not sure.

Love As Thou Wilt
by DragonYoga on March 08, 2006 09:45 PM
OH btw, the yard's in full sun.

Love As Thou Wilt
by RugbyHukr on March 08, 2006 11:05 PM
jasminum nitidum

jasminum polyanthum

trachelospermum jasminoides

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by DragonYoga on March 09, 2006 01:23 AM
*scribbles the names down* Thanks Rugby! [flower]

Love As Thou Wilt

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jasmine - how hardy?| Next thread: Jasmine help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: