The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Prayer Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Prayer Plant| Next thread: Prayer Plant »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on April 21, 2005 05:12 PM
Beth has an email ?:

I'm excited to find your site. I have a quick question about caring for my
prayer plant. Is it possible to put our plant outdoors if we're careful not
to put it in direct sunlight. We live in the North Carolina mountains where
it stays pretty cool and humid through the summer. But, if it's better to
keep indoors, we'll enjoy it that way.

Thanks for your help.

Beth

-
 -
 -
by phoenix on April 21, 2005 06:01 PM
Prayer plants Maranta leucoreura need very high humidity to thrive. They do best in a warm greenhouse or a terrarium. Provide medium or bright filtered light, but never direct sun. Use a well drained soil with a little peat moss added, because they need a slightly acid soil. Keep the soil evenly moist but never soggy. When plants rest in winter keep the soil drier. Use an equal analysis acid fertilizer such as 'Miracid' every 2 weeks except when the plant is resting. Ideal temperatures are between 60 and 85 degrees. Dry air will be a problem in the winter, and this is probably the cause of the brown leaf tips. Putting the plant in among several other house plants will help to create a more humid atmosphere. Another aid would be to place a bowl of water in the immediate vicinity of the plant.
[wayey] hi [kitty] lover the above info is from this site i think you could put your prayer plant out just no direct sunlight. i have one and it flourished after i repotted it now it sits pretty in a north window where it gets plenty of bright light but no direct sun. i hope i(well the site info) was able to answer your question
phoenix

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by catlover on April 21, 2005 06:57 PM
Hi Phoenix [wayey] ....thank you for the quick response and will send your information on to Beth.
Thanks again and Have a great day! [flower]
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Prayer Plant| Next thread: Prayer Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: