The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

moving outside

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Moving Lilac in FULL bloom - help| Next thread: Moving perennials »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on April 12, 2005 06:52 AM
I'm in zone 6 where it's staying in the 50's, near 60, later this week it's supposed to be over 60. I'm wondering how soon I can start to bring out some of my houseplants and when can they start staying out overnight? I want to move:
aloe
croton
spiders
mother of millions
false aralia
xmas cactus
cactus
ivy
and maybe my ficus-would that be beneficial or no?
and the pointsetta? (it's still kicking-only lost 3 leaves so far!!!)
Thanks!
by connie mounsey on April 12, 2005 02:37 PM
Your temps are better than ours...my mom puts some plants out and I decided this year to try it. I have a crouton, dracnea, fern, pineapple top, and a few others I can't think of now that I am going to put out. My mother does this every year and told me to bring them in and out if the temps are going to be low. She puts them in the shade at first and slowly acclimates them to full sun (the ones that she puts in the sun). She puts out a dracnea, peace lily, christmas cactus, aloe vera, 2 hanging spider plants, asparagus fern and an anthurium. She gets way less wind than we do here. I will have to be careful to put things where they won't be constantly whipped by the wind.

Hope someone comes along that can help! Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by adirondack on April 12, 2005 05:24 PM
a few will be OK at temps below 50 at night, but if it drops below 45-- I would take them back in.
Also-- watch out not to sunburn them, it's best to acclimate them graually; less chance of shock .

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by rozy221 on April 13, 2005 05:26 AM
Thanks for the replies! The spider I'll probably start hanging outside tomorrow on the front porch-there, I will remember to bring it in at night. I think the rest I'll wait until they'll be safe overnight-too much to have to bring in every evening-I go into work at 6, and the 2 little ones keep me pretty busy till that time-hopefully the outside air will do them good!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moving Lilac in FULL bloom - help| Next thread: Moving perennials »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: