The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moving Lilac in FULL bloom - help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moving houseplents?| Next thread: moving outside »
Back to Thread index
by gardenluvr on April 17, 2006 03:20 AM
There are some old homes that were torn down and the builder told me I could have anything in the yard before they level the place! My husband, hulking 16yr son and I dug up 2 full grown 8-10ft. lilacs in full bloom and 2 8ft crepe myrtles this past week. Not to mention 100 daffodils! I planted everything but am concerned about the lilacs. Should I level them, just cut back the blooms or leave them alone? I know this is the worst time to move them, but I just had to try. Advice please. Also the crepe's have not started to have their leaf buds so I'm just hoping they come through. Of course I know there won't be any blooms next year but I am hoping to save them all.
by peppereater on April 17, 2006 07:03 AM
The crepes just might bloom this year after all. They're pretty much dormant...and they're TOUGH!
The lilacs are very tough, too....the best thing, of course, would be to cut them back hard, but I might be tempted to see if they continue to bloom. It's a tough call...they'd be less stressed, though, if they were cut back.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by gardenluvr on April 17, 2006 09:51 AM
If I just cut them back by 3 feet, do you think they might bloom next year? Especially since they just came into bloom this past week. I guess my thought is, if they still won't bloom next year w/ this smaller cut, then I'll just really level them after I enjoy this bloom season.
by The Plant Doc on April 17, 2006 10:24 AM
I would not cut them back right away. I think that this would just add to the shock of the plant. I would sacrifice next years bloom and prune them back at the end of the season. Much better a year with out blooms then a dead plant.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by SpringFever on April 17, 2006 10:20 PM
Nice score [thumb] [thumb]
Wish i could find someone that would give me stuff!!
I agree with Doc I would let it be tell it at least had time to establish in its new home, and recover from shock!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moving houseplents?| Next thread: moving outside »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: