The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moving perennials

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: moving outside| Next thread: Moving Plants »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on October 05, 2005 10:06 AM
I remember someone (Mike?) saying stuff that blooms in the spring can be moved in the fall, and stuff that blooms in the fall can be moved in spring. Geez I hope I got that right...

Assuming I did get that right, when exactly do you move stuff in the fall - before or after the first frost? Or, does it depend on what you're moving? Just looking for a general guideline to go by. I have lots to move!

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 05, 2005 10:21 PM
And my neighbor complains that the apartment is always different everytime he comes over lol. I don't know the answer to your question but then you probably already knew that. But I'll be watching the string so I can see the answer when it comes up.

-
 -
by alankhart on October 05, 2005 11:27 PM
When moving perennials in the Fall, try to do it at least 6 weeks before frost to give them adequate time for the root system to grow into it's new home.

-
 -
 -
by mike57 on October 06, 2005 08:45 PM
[wayey] HI Mary alankhart is right on the money on when to move perennials in the fall the root system needs plenty of time to get established normally 6 to 8 weeks before the first frost depending on your growing zone unless its a tree which should be moved after it has gone dormant for the winter then you would move it in the early winter or early spring while its still dormant.I usually move my perennials at the beginning of fall it just gives the roots more time to take hold of the soil to keep the plant healthy.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by sybil on October 08, 2005 12:24 AM
Would that be the same as to splitting a peony bush? Would you have to dig up the present one and split it then replant the first? I really want a part of a friends and we are not too sure on how to do it without killing the plant.
Any suggestion would be most appreciated...

Old age ain't no place for sissies
by alankhart on October 08, 2005 01:48 AM
Yes, Peonies should be divided in Fall. It will probably take a year or more for the divisions to bloom because Peonies resent root disturbance.

-
 -
 -
by MaryReboakly on October 09, 2005 07:51 AM
Fooey! I am ALWAYS LATE! So, I guess my moving will have to wait until spring - I definitely don't have 6 weeks before the first frost.

-
 -
by WCutler on October 13, 2005 01:26 AM
You might need to wait until next fall for Peonies (rather than spring). However, my peonies are hardy enough that I have transplanted them less than six weeks before the first frost. If you have many plants, you might try to move one or two roots now, leaving the majority of your roots where they are. Then plan ahead next fall to move the remainder six weeks ahead of the frost.

Just an experiment.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moving outside| Next thread: Moving Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: