The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with house plants please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help with House plant| Next thread: help with impatiens »
Back to Thread index
by nnej88 on January 18, 2005 02:59 AM
I love having plants around my house especially in my bedroom, but I cannot seem to keep tham alive. I have tried and killed various house plants, lavender, chamomille, and even bamboo. Recently the plant that I have had the longest started putting off a horrible moldy odor. Please help! What is going wrong and what would be a good houseplant for a not so green thumb?

jenn
by Amy R. on January 18, 2005 03:16 AM
hi there,
from the moldy odor description, it sounds like perhaps your overwatering??? i haven't heard of lavendar or chamomile doing so great indoors either, so perhaps that is why you think your thumb isn't green. =) if you look to the top of the page, there is a site map with the section House Plants. it has a ton of great info, so maybe you good scroll through that and find something to catch your fancy. i think my first houseplant was a wandering jew which was quite easy. especially as i'm nuerotic and kept giving it "hair cuts", which apparently it likes. anyway, good luck in your search, and green thumbs don't come naturally, in my opinion, they come with knowledge!
by Keri on January 18, 2005 05:45 AM
Just asking, have you had any luck with Ivy's? I have always had wonderful luck out of those, no matter what type. I have found that they have so many different varities and very pretty!! I mean, I have even killed a cactus before...LOL! Just a suggestion but maybe try ivy's first and then try others.

Keri
by catlover on January 18, 2005 06:20 AM
I would try a potho's...those are the easiest!!!! You can even leave a cutting in water for a very long time to root and they will survive. [thumb] Just change out the water now and then....indirect light and you have it made.

Sounds like too much water ....just a question...Do you have holes in the bottom of your pots so the water can drain out????? [dunno]
Most plants (not all) require the top 1/3rd of the soil to dry before re~watering.
Catlover

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help with House plant| Next thread: help with impatiens »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: