The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Peace lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index
by minnycourt on April 19, 2004 02:14 AM
I bought my peace lily a month ago and transplanted right away. It had some shoots on it you know the white leaves..Well they all turned green! The rest of the plant is was doing nicely it just wasn’t getting enough sun. So I put the plant in a sunny room, but I got a little cocky and transplanted it into a large pot thinking that it was going to grow like crazy in its new spot.
Well this was Wednesday and by today (Sunday) all the leaves are curling in and he is looking quite sad.
Any suggestions? I don’t know what I was thinking repotting it twice in the same month. [dunno]

Minnycourt

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
by Will Creed on April 19, 2004 03:05 AM
It is almost never a good idea to repot a new plant - even once. I suggest that you remove all of the soil that you added and put your peace lily back into its original pot.

You mentioned moving it to a "sunny room." Peace lilies must be protected from direct sunlight at all times.
by minnycourt on April 19, 2004 03:19 AM
AAaaa...I really screwed up! [tears]

I can't put it back in the other pot..I bought a Croton and put in there.

The room gets sunlight, but my plant isn't getting direct sun.

I will wait to see what happens…
[scaredy]

Minnycourt

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
by Jiffymouse on April 19, 2004 05:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by minnycourt:
AAaaa...I really screwed up! [tears]

I can't put it back in the other pot..I bought a Croton and put in there.

The room gets sunlight, but my plant isn't getting direct sun.

I will wait to see what happens…
[scaredy]

ok, all is not lost. first of all, don't wait. check the pot to see if the soil is soggy. if it is, remove the plant from the pot, dump out the soil that is soggy from the pot, and then place new (dry) soil and the plant back in the pot. while you are doing this, check the roots to see if they are white or if they are mushy. if they are mushy, trim the mush back to white firm roots.

then, until your plant grows into it's pot, when you water it, only use half the amount you would normally, water close to the root ball (about an inch - or less - from the outside edge of the stems) and don't worry if you are not getting all the soil wet. infact, you don't want to get all the soil wet. if it starts to droop again in a couple of days, check the soil next to the root ball. if it is dry, then water again in the same manner. you will be watering more frequently, but less water at one time. MUCH less water at one time. your plant will grow into its new home this way. and, it won't hurt it to be sad when it needs water if you don't let it go more than a couple of days. its getting sad will actually help it to develope more roots (it will be stretching them, looking for water) so that it will grow into the pot quicker.

also, the white flower turning green is normal as they age. my 13 year old peace lily does that as the blooms get older.
by minnycourt on April 23, 2004 07:44 PM
Thank you for all the great advice.

I checked the soil it was very wet, so I will repot it today!

I will let you know...

Minnycourt

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peace lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: