The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peperomia flowering.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Peony Situation| Next thread: Peperomia obtusifolia »
Back to Thread index
by Canadian CrabGrass on March 24, 2004 03:56 PM
This isn't a question, but an observation...

Another of my peperomias is going through the flowering stage and is sprouting countless long, thin spikes. A few days ago, I realized that those spikes have a fragrance! And I am not drunk or hallucinating [nutz] because hubby noticed it also. It's a rather pleasant citrusy fragrance, and it's marked enough that it can be smelled in the whole room. The strangest of all though is that the flower spikes are fragrant only after sundown! For the past 3 days I've been "monitoring" my plant ( with my nose buried in it during the day [Big Grin] ) and the fragrance is noticed only after 6pm, then becomes stronger as the night goes on.

Mother Nature will never cease to amaze me...
by Newt on March 25, 2004 08:28 AM
Hi Canadian Crabgrass,
The wonder of it all. Generally plants that are fragrant after sundown are trying to attract night flying insects like moths to pollenate them. Gives us humans something nice to look forward to in the evening!

Thanks for sharing that.
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peony Situation| Next thread: Peperomia obtusifolia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: