The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Buttermilk moss

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Butterflys| Next thread: Buttermilk pie »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 02:43 AM
Since I didn't want to hijack the post where this was mentioned I thought I would start a topic.

I've wanted some live moss for awhile now for an interior landscape I've been creating in my minds eye but it is way to expensive to buy.

So can someone tell me about this buttermilk moss? Will it grow if you put the buttermilk on regular soil? Or if it needs terracotta to start can you then scrape it off and put it on soil?

And can you sour milk and use that instead of the buttermilk? Or in liu of that can I use my nonfat flavored yogurt to start some?

Gee I don't have many questions do I? lol

-
 -
by Tonya on July 21, 2006 05:33 PM
I would love to hear the answer to this, tk...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Bill on July 21, 2006 06:17 PM
Moss care

Take a clump of healthy moss and crumble it into your blender.
Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water
Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake. (add water if necessary)
Paint the mixture onto rocks, pots or statuary, or simply pour it on the ground wherever you'd like your moss to grow!

-
by tkhooper on July 25, 2006 12:20 AM
Thanks Bill,

Now I just need my original clump of moss to start with. Here mossy mossy moss, here boy lol.

I wonder if the florist would have any live for putting on live plants or something.

That's a great article Bill. And the picture is really neat.

-
 -
by jbaby7162000 on August 06, 2006 02:55 PM
my goodness ive never heard of that before ,im still learning,got to try that.now is that the moss that grows wild ,i want o get this straight.

joanne
by tkhooper on August 07, 2006 02:22 AM
It sounds like it will work with most of them. I'm excited. Hope I can find some to get started with.

I've got this idea for an interior landscape and it's been bugging me all year.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterflys| Next thread: Buttermilk pie »
Back to Thread index