The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ficus ?'s

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: ficus| Next thread: ficus "silver cloud" »
Back to Thread index
by misskitty on July 08, 2006 07:48 AM
Hi. I had bought a small ficus to grow it indoors back in March or April. I repotted it so it would have more room to grow, and I watered it, but I was sure I didn't over water. After a few days, the leaves started falling off. It went bare!
My husband thought it didn't get enough sunlight, and so we moved it to the balcony where after a month or so, it started sprouting leaves again and it's doing fine now.
What happened? Was it shocked by the repotting? Or was the light too low for it? I would like to get another to grow inside, but not sure if the same thing will happen again.. [scaredy]
by Tonya on July 08, 2006 07:58 AM
First of all...Welcome to the forum! [wavey]

Now, depending on where you are in the US, your ficus may do QUITE well outside...everytime I try to bring mine in it dies! [shocked] They generally like a lot of indirect light and to NOT be anywhere a vent for heat or air. Also don't put it near a door that opens or closes a lot. They DO like to have their leaves misted about once to twice a week. Not sure why yours dropped the leaves, but water sparingly- I lost one of mine completely to root rot by watering every week thoroughly. I'm not sure on how often to water...Best of luck to you!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Jiffymouse on July 08, 2006 02:27 PM
wome of them will drop their leaves just because. that is one reason they are called "weeping figs"
by Triss on July 09, 2006 11:47 AM
Ficus can be persnickity but once you find a place it likes, it will do so well for you! Good luck with yours.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by DowntoEarth on July 09, 2006 02:01 PM
Ficus can be tempermental. They hate to be moved from one light source to another and will drop their leaves, usually within the first 3 months of purchase.
Many people will throw away their ficus thinking it's dead after something like this happens since it looks like it on death's door!
Once you find the right spot indoors (bright indirect light) with a little sun during the day, leave it there and don't move it. Re-potting anything brand new before they get a chance to acclimate can also cause problems as well. You can turn your ficus without any problems for even growth.
If it's not watered correctly, that can also cause leaf drop. I like to keep mine slightly on the moist side, letting the top inch dry out between waterings, while others have said they let there's dry out.

Susan

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ficus| Next thread: ficus "silver cloud" »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: