The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oily soil?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: ohio tomatoes| Next thread: Oinion jam and others recipes »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on February 25, 2004 06:41 PM
All of my plants are in plantic pots. When I perform the "finger check" for moisture, the soil feels kind of oily [scaredy] What causes it and will it be a problem?
by Jiffymouse on February 26, 2004 02:08 AM
hmmmm. never heard of that. but if i find something on it, i'll let you know.
by Will Creed on February 26, 2004 02:34 AM
Whatever it is, its not the pots. It is something in either the soil or the water, unless someone is adding some oil to the plant unbeknownst to you.
by Phil and Laura on February 26, 2004 03:01 AM
Probably IS your soil, what are you using?? It makes me pretty upset that all you can buy in the major retail places is potting soil with fertilizers, water polymers and the like, for instance, Wally World, has one selection,1, that has no additives, and I can dig soil out of my garden that would work better than that old BAG OF DIRT for houseplants. I might add also that those of us trying to start seed should go somewhere(as I do ) and spend a little more on some high quality potting mix...without additives....PHIL [grin]
by Bonsai Beginner on February 29, 2004 09:11 AM
I did a search and came up only with some studies saying that chemicels are making soil oily and groundwater unsafe. So unless your using water from some polluted river I dunno.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ohio tomatoes| Next thread: Oinion jam and others recipes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: