The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Humidity

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Humidity| Next thread: Humidity and Mold »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on February 23, 2004 04:21 PM
Is there a way to measure the humidity level of a house/apartment? Also, is it possible to have too much humidity?
by Canadian CrabGrass on February 23, 2004 05:08 PM
I'm using a combination thermometer/hygrometer that is made by ZooMed for reptile habitats, something that can be found in a pet store, although I believe it's a bit pricey.

Too much humidity ? I doubt it, although if your windows are steaming up that might get a bit excessive ( for you and your house, if not for your house plants ! )

My humidity level is so low here at this time of the year, I stopped monitoring it because it was too depressing...
by apples on February 23, 2004 08:52 PM
I think canadian crab grass is write I have to spray my plants every half hour after dusk inorder to keep them wet. Sometimes if I don't some plants start to suffer. I know you can get a soil humidity tester far a resonable price but don't know if it works in air(most likly not).
I thought I would tell you to look at my post in mystery plants about the umbrella plant/tree. It could be one or the other!

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by hisgal2 on February 24, 2004 03:24 AM
Radio Shack sells one that is wireless (there is a wire to the wall tho), but it will read from an external one that is outside as well as wherever the main on is in the house. We have one, its great. It shows the inside temp and humidity and then you push a button and it tells you what it is outside. The thing will read from up to 3 external monitors as well as where the main screen is. just a thought for you.

-
 -

-
by rue anemone on February 24, 2004 06:29 AM
LOL! syl726

Yes when the paint pops off of the outside of your house!!

Our youngest was born with a lung problem and we pumped humidity into his room during the winter. You could see the outline of his room on the outside of the house where all the paint popped off.

-
 -
by Jillie on February 24, 2004 03:37 PM
Syl726 wrote:

quote:
Also, is it possible to have too much humidity?
In regard to houseplants, in a dry climate, I'd say no....but...Humans (and pets) are a different story. While moist air is necessary to remedy dry air passages and little afflicted lungs, as in Rue's youngest...You must really excercise caution with moist air in your home. Mold that can form under carpets, in walls and around plumbing can cause sooo many health problems when spores are inhaled.
Mainstream medicine is just beginning to realize the hazards of breathing mold spores...Although property owners, contractors and real estate investors will hotly argue the existance of any danger.

Check it out:
http://www.mold-help.org/

-
 -
by Will Creed on February 25, 2004 03:46 AM
I know that most of the plant books tell you that many indoor plants need high humidity. Although these plants do just fine in high humidity, experience demonstrates quite conclusively that, with few exceptions, nearly all of the most common houseplants do just fine in very low humidity.

In very low humidity, the moisture evaporates from the soil more quickly. However, by increasing the watering frequency, that problem is solved. I think that many folks believe that their plants suffer in low humidity when they may not be watering often enough. In addition, plants do languish a bit in the winter months because of reduced light, not because the humidity is low.

Personally, I think you can make yourself crazy trying to measure and increase humidity for your plants. I know I have done it, before I knew better.

I do use a humidifier in my home, but for my skin and mucous membranes, not for my plants.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Humidity| Next thread: Humidity and Mold »
Back to Thread index