The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade plant division

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: jade plant cuttings| Next thread: Jade plant growing downward »
Back to Thread index
by apples on February 07, 2004 06:48 AM
I was thinking about dividing my jade plant but don't know how to or if it's safe. There is four plantlets(unaware of beter term) in a four inch wide pot.

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Jiffymouse on February 07, 2004 05:42 PM
hey apples, it is easy and safe to divide a jade. just pop it out of the pot and divide it up. if you find tangled roots, just cut them with a clean sharp knife. and remember to put each division in a smaller pot. (not absolutely necessary, but makes the care easier)
by apples on February 07, 2004 09:16 PM
Allright!
[scaredy] I was just worried that they would bleed because two of them seem to attach not two deep in if they do is it safe to cut them. I also think one of them has that disease they are proun to, it has back spots under it's leaves.
Thanks Jiffymouse!

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Flower on February 07, 2004 11:27 PM
Did you read the information here on the site about Jade Plants?

Jade Plants

-
by Will Creed on February 08, 2004 04:29 AM
Hi Apples,

Why do you want to divide your jade? I think it may spoil its appearance if you do divide it. Besides division is like surgery and a lot can go wrong.

Are the black spots you referred to scale? If so, let me know if you need treatment instructions.
by apples on February 08, 2004 05:43 AM
I can't quite figure out what the disease is, definitly not scale. In the jade plant info on this site there was something I could relate it to. The scars that were probably water burns. the only thing is most are unerneath but still possible. I got it from lawblawas so who knows. I didn't do the most thurough inspection but it was the best one. I thought I read about something simaller to it visually but only it was mushy under the scar like thing. [dunno]
As for the division thier is one of them that would look amasing by it self and though it's not very big and will change very quickly the branch structure is desirable. Also it is the helthiest one. I was thinking of leaving the two that seem atached together but Will I've taken what you've said into concideration and think I'll just leave the three others together. Thanks

-
by Flower on February 08, 2004 06:00 AM
There are several types of brown spots that can occur on the leaves of a Jade plant. If the brown spots are soft, it is caused by leaf spot disease. To control it...water with a systemic fungicide and improve the ventilation. If the brown spots are dry, it is caused by underwatering. Jade plants require generous amounts of water in the summer.

Sooty Mould is another spot that can occur. It is a black fungus which grows on the sticky honeydew depostited by aphids, scale, whitefly and mealybugs. This mould does not harm the plant, but will reduce the growth and vigour. It will block the pores. To remove it wipe the leaves with a damp cloth and rinse with clean warm water. Make sure (if there are insects) you control them.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: jade plant cuttings| Next thread: Jade plant growing downward »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: