The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Rosemary turning brown!| Next thread: roses »
Back to Thread index
by regalhank on October 27, 2005 02:11 AM
I ordered some roses through the mail from a nursery I am acquainted with--they sent them to me last week--I live in the Great Lakes and it's going to snow this week. Is it possible for me to put these in the ground now and, if not, how will I keep them til next spring?
by MaryReboakly on October 27, 2005 09:26 AM
I sure wish I knew for sure, but my best guess is, I think it may be in your best interest to keep them inside in a cool dark place until spring. I'm sure someone who knows better will be along shortly to confirm that's sound advice for you. Good luck with them!

-
 -
by mike57 on October 27, 2005 05:20 PM
[wayey] HI regalhank are they dormant now?if so you can plant them.but wait till the snow melts and and make sure the ground is not frozen.
dig the hole where you plan on placing it to approximately 20 to 25 inches wide and 12 to 15 inches deep. Roses like soil that is rich in organic matter so mix generous amounts of organic matter into the soil that you dug out of the planting hole. to plant it make a mound of amended soil spread out the roots and set the plant on the mound. Be sure the mound is tall enough to hold the crown at the same level it was originally planted.then just backfill the hole about halfway with the amended soil and fill it with water.then when that drains add more soil to fill the hole and make a ring of soil around the hole with some of the soil.then flood the area again the ring of soil will help hold the water on the planted rose.after that water soaks in put in the rest of the soil to establish the finish grade.then dress the soil then top that with some good organic mulch.hope this helps and good luck with your roses.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Steph321 on November 03, 2005 05:55 AM
I agree with Mike

Have a great day!

*****Steph [wayey]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rosemary turning brown!| Next thread: roses »
Back to Thread index