The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jump-starting seed germination

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: ***JOY!!!***| Next thread: Junior.... »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on October 26, 2005 03:09 PM
Some interesting info caught my eye recently while reading about seed germination... the need for "seed stratification" (cold treating seeds), because certain seeds require a dormant period before they're ready to germinate.

I'd known, from living in NW Montana, that Evergreen tree seeds needed to go through a freeze cycle before they could sprout, but I wasn't aware until recently that there are many flower seeds that need to be cold treated (but not always frozen) for successful germination!

It's my understanding that most commercial seeds don't always need these treatments, as they've already been treated prior to packaging. However, those of us who are lucky enough to live in zones with mild winters will need to trick our seeds into dormancy, by putting them through a refrigeration process. (Which would probably also be necessary for certain home-harvested seeds which are kept indoors until planting time.)

I also found out that besides stratifying certain seeds, there are others that germinate faster if they are roughed up with sand paper, or by cutting a little nick in them before planting...Called scarification! (My my, how technical & complicated does gardening get?! It's no wonder I'd always had such bad luck getting anything to sprout for me when someone gave me seeds! [tears] I thought I just wasn't any good at flowers & was better off sticking with my veggie garden!) [dunno]

Last year I waited nearly 6 months to get Bells of Ireland seeds to sprout, & almost gave up on them! Now, I read that if I'd have nicked the seeds, I could have cut that germination time by 75%! (I found 1 place online that said Bells of Ireland seeds & Clematis seeds are among those that need light to germinate, so they should be allowed to stay on top of the soil! [perplexed] I've never been able to start Clematis seeds, but I can guarantee that the Bells that finally sprouted for me never saw daylight before they broke ground! [nutz] Hmmm!)

I haven't found much on the web yet, but have read that some flower seeds that can be jump-started by stratification are: Hollyhock, Calendula, Larkspur, Columbine, Clematis, most Poppies, Nigella, Candytuft, Liatris, Sweet Pea & Pansy.
(Although I've never had a problem germinating Sweet Peas, because I soak them overnight & then ziplock them with a wet paper towel until they sprout, before planting... which is yet another recognized method!)

[thinker] Since we exchange home-harvested seeds here on The Gardener's Forum, wouldn't it be to our benefit to know which of our home-harvested seeds need stratification, scarification, light exposure or a simple overnight soak, to hasten germination?

I'd like to make a list, but it would probably take up the rest of my lifetime if I were to sit down & "Google" every single flower seed, for germination info! I'm hoping that somebody here already has such a list (?) [critic]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 26, 2005 10:16 PM
patty, i have a list in progress, but it isn't ready for here. pm me your email address and i'll send it to you.
by weezie13 on October 30, 2005 09:02 PM
Somebody check, but I believe in the Archives,
somewhere's, (maybe the SEED SECTION) there's stuff that either Flower/Barb or Nikkal posted for us..

About those mentioned above, the one's that need light, or cold, scratifying, etc...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on October 30, 2005 11:17 PM
If anyone finds it please post the link here. I would love to have that information. And Patty is right looking each one up on the web takes ages.

-
 -
by Bill on October 30, 2005 11:39 PM
by weezie13 on October 30, 2005 11:53 PM
[thumb] [grin] [clappy] [kissies] THANK~YOU BILL!!!! [kissies] [angel] [muggs] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ***JOY!!!***| Next thread: Junior.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: