The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mulching

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Mulch vs weeds| Next thread: Mulching and fertilizing »
Back to Thread index
by slredmond on October 14, 2005 07:46 AM
With the extended summer my grass is SO thick, and we collected bags and bags last time we mowed. Can I just use the grass to mulch my beds before winter, or must it be composted first? Obviously there's not time for it to cook. Is straight grass OK? [thinker]

Sandy R.
by connie mounsey on October 14, 2005 07:52 PM
We always put our leaves on our flower beds after we rake them...I think that grass would be ok too.

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 12:52 AM
only problem with using the grass is that you will get transplants and grass seedlings... do you want to spend that much time this spring weeding?
by slredmond on October 15, 2005 01:11 AM
Yeah - I hear ya. I spend so much time with my backside up in the air [Embarrassed] and head down pulling weeds!! My neighbors don't recognize my face! [Big Grin]
Most of the beds I want to mulch this way are my temporary holding beds that I have been starting perennials in, then will move to permanent spots next spring. I just wasn't sure if I would mess up the chemistry of the soil with uncomposted grass. Probably making much ado about nothing?!

Sandy R.
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 01:19 AM
it should be ok, as long as you don't turn the grass in. in the spring, remove the grass and put it in your compost bin. till then, it'll be fine for what you are wanting (since you don't mind weeding [Wink] i hate weeding...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mulch vs weeds| Next thread: Mulching and fertilizing »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: