The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Calladium as a house plant question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Calladium?| Next thread: Calloa Lillies »
Back to Thread index
by gardeningmomma on May 13, 2006 02:25 PM
Does anyone have a calladium as a house plant. I live in Zone 5, so having one year round outdoors is out of the questions.
Thanks [Wink]
by gardeningmomma on May 13, 2006 02:27 PM
Oops, shoud read, ...out of the question.
by tkhooper on May 14, 2006 12:36 AM
Hi yes I have them. Personally I would say very very bad decision on my part. They have a 4 month dormant season that you have to adjust for and they flop over for a great deal of their life time which just isn't attractive.

There are a lot of other plants out there that would be much prettier.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 14, 2006 05:27 AM
I received one as a gift a few weeks ago. It's been fine up until a few days ago. It's leaves were droopy and I gave it some water, but not much improvement. I'll put it outside and see if the sun will help it. I wish that people would not give me a plant as a gift- but I do appreciate the spirit in which it was given [Smile]
by tkhooper on May 14, 2006 12:00 PM
this is a shady tropical that likes to remain constantly moist. The leaves do droop over and die and others take their place. This is one that I would always add alittle water soluable fertilizer to the water each time I water. If you do that the leaves will be bigger. But if you put it in the sun you will get solid colored leaves rather than the multi-toned ones.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 14, 2006 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info! I cut off some leaves today- I think they were done, and it looks healthier now.
Thank you.
by gardeningmomma on June 13, 2006 01:30 PM
Thank you for suggesting using fertilizer with every watering. My calladium looks gorgeous again!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Calladium?| Next thread: Calloa Lillies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: