The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade looks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade Help| Next thread: Jade mushy stems »
Back to Thread index
by Erwin on January 11, 2004 03:27 AM
Hi,

I have a small jade house plant, about 12 inches tall and it has 3 main stems. Most of the jade plants I see in garden shops and florists seem to have a short and stubby look, where the main stems are very fat and they usually have many leaves. My jade is growing like a vine and is very tall and skinny. In fact, it is growing so tall that it is starting to fall over without the support of a stick I placed in the middle. Is there any way to make my jade grow like the ones in professional garden shops or are there different jade varieties? My jade leaves look exactly like the ones in shops.
Otherwise, my jade is healthy.

Thanks,
Erwin
by weezie13 on January 11, 2004 03:35 AM
[wayey] Hello ERWIN [wayey]
Glad you found us!!! Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!
I am not tooooo versed in Houseplants to be able
to really help you with your answer, but we do have a group of gardeners that are just house plant growers, and they tend to stay in the house plant section, so, I just wanted to let you know that I was moving your post to THE HOUSE PLANT SECTION and they'll be better able to help you and answer your question, tons of gardeners that go there, Will Creed, Jiffy, Loz, Nikkal, Boxmonkey, TomR, lizheaemma, Njoynit, Barleychown,
Phil and Laura, so many, they'll be better able to help!!

Stick around!
Weezie

I have an Uncle and an Aunt and several cousins that live in Co.... Great state!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Will Creed on January 11, 2004 04:58 AM
Hi Erwin,

Lack of light is the primary cause of spindly growth on a jade. This plant really needs to be in your sunniest window where it gets lots of direct sunlight.

Too much fertilizer also promotes spindly growth. Jades need very little plant food.

If you have a much brighter location to move it to, then I suggest that you prune it way back, by at least one-third to one half.
by boxmonkey on January 12, 2004 06:52 AM
Will is right.

Prune it back, but don't throw away those cuttings! If you let the cut "scab" over and then put the cutting in a sandy soil (about half sand half potting soil) mix and deny it water for a few weeks (until it seems desperate for water), you will probably find yourself the owner of two happy jade plants instead of one miserable one.

Custom Weathervanes - hand made
by Jiffymouse on January 12, 2004 04:27 PM
[wayey] welcome to the garden helper erwin [wayey] sorry i am late with my welcome, i seem to be late with everything right now. but hope you are enjoying your time here. also, i have to second the comments of will and boxmonkey concerning your jade. cut or pinch it back and it will be a very happy plant and you can have as many babies as you want!
by Erwin on January 18, 2004 06:00 PM
Hi,

thank you for your advice. I will try this and let you know. Sorry for my late response, but I just got back from Gresham Oregon, where it is windy and rainy...as usual.

Erwin
by weezie13 on January 18, 2004 06:36 PM
Yes, Please keep us updated!!
We love to hear about the plant,
and how it's doing and what you did.

Not only does it help us who answered the question,
but for some, who like to read
and maybe not post, it helps them when they
read and know the turn out... and it could be
somebody 3 months from now that reads the threads.
So, Thank~YOU if you do!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Help| Next thread: Jade mushy stems »
Back to Thread index