The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

question about hostas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Question about groung coverage| Next thread: question about hostas »
Back to Thread index
by luvinmyflowers on October 01, 2004 08:56 PM
Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me figure this out: I had about six hostas, I am not sure what type they were- just average size and mostly green with small amount of white on leaves, well last year that had gotten rather large so I dug them up and separated and planted in other places in my yard. This year the new plants that came up were solid green? Anyone have any idea what happened?? [nutz]
by sidheblooms on October 08, 2004 06:08 AM
plants are crazy arent they?

somtimes when you shock a plant, such as dividing it, transplanting it, or even hard pruning it, it has the tendency of reverting back to its original form. this means a varigated plant, could go back to being solid, of as you say, a hosta could change its apperance. they all respond differently to stress.

often a plant will shoot suckers of the original color ie. a physocarpus( ninebark) autopopareum, will send a lime green sucker up. i was told that instead of snipping it with your secators, you should rip it off..that way it wont be temepted to continue with the regrowth. i havent been able to find any readings on the subject..but i do that now.

too bad for you though..i am a big fan of shade gardens..and i love the variety of different hostas you can get. whenever i see a new and unique one..i have to pick it up.

sorry i couldnt offer any better explanation...but i can relate to your problem.

[flower]

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Question about groung coverage| Next thread: question about hostas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: