The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

question about hostas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: question about hostas| Next thread: Question about Kalanchoe »
Back to Thread index
by luvinmyflowers on October 01, 2004 09:06 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what happened with my hostas. Last year I had about six hostas and they were getting too big, so I separated and replanted in other areas of my yard. Well, this year when they came up- the hostas were solid green. The original hostas where green with a little bit of white on the leaves? Any ideas why that happened. [nutz]
by weezie13 on October 01, 2004 09:32 PM
[wayey] Luvinmyflowers,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

I do have some questions for you.....
Can you tell us a bit more about how you planted them?
Like what time of year you planted them???
What's the difference between area's where the original plants where and where they are now?
Same of Different???

My guess might be stress when you planted them??
Sometimes plants will revert back to a "mother~gene" when under stress conditions...
ie; moving too late in the season, moving when it's too hot and dry, not enough water after moving, so many different scenerio's could be???

Or do you have other hosta's on you property???

I'm sure there will be a some more gardeners comint thru that may also offer some more hints as to why this has happened....

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by luvinmyflowers on October 01, 2004 09:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I am glad that I found you all too!! Well, it was last fall when I planted the ones that I had separated. (someone told me that was the best time of year to do so) The only thing different is the place where I replanted gets a little bit more sun, but not extreme. The ones that were replanted came back really small, I guess I will just wait and see what the comeback looking like in the spring. I have never heard of a "mother-gene". Thanks for all the info.
by weezie13 on October 01, 2004 09:49 PM
When they come up with new plants, they take a trait of one plant, say a white stripe down the middle and take another plant that may stand up to sun better and they "hybrdize" the plants...
and in cases when a plant is stressed, it reverts back to the stronger mother plant.....

That can also happen with flower colors too...
If you have a white and a purple coneflower too close to each other, the dominate color can come out in the weaker plant next season...

What kind of soil did you use???

And how old where the plants???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by luvinmyflowers on October 01, 2004 09:53 PM
Well, the hostas were about five or six years old and I just used some regular potting soil and then put mulch around them. I watered them well after replanting. I guess it's just one of those things.
by melcon6 on October 01, 2004 11:43 PM
Welcome, Welcome! I don't have any comment on your color change , but just about dividing Hostas. They can be moved at any time late spring thru early fall. Mid-summer is a little rough on them but they are extremely forgiving. I find them easier to deal with in the spring , less to untangle when the leaves are still small. I did have to take some this summer. My daughter broke up a 20+ year old clump for her mother-in-law. Because the leaves were so packed together all our babes had huge leaves falling and flopping all over the place. But next year......they should be beautiful. I got over 15 plants, so didn't she and another 25-30 for mother-in-law to spread out. I love free plants! [Wink]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by luvinmyflowers on October 02, 2004 12:39 AM
WOW!! I'll bet that was huge- given the age you said that it was. Free plants are the best!! [Wink] I have shared my hostas with everyone in my family and my husbands. They justy multiply so fast!! I just planted to some lamb's ear last year and that plant has gotten like five times bigger than when I planted.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: question about hostas| Next thread: Question about Kalanchoe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: