The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

LARGE Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by NewRae on April 24, 2006 03:58 PM
I made a boo-boo and purchased a peace lily that was really too large for the available space in my house, and I was wondering if I can keep the plant in a shady area of my porch or yard. Or will this kill it?
by Jiffymouse on April 25, 2006 10:33 AM
newrae, it will be fine this summer if it is in the shade (very sure to be in the shade, they sunburn very badly) but it won't survive the winter here. i just noticed you are in savannah, i work at scad.
by NewRae on April 25, 2006 03:31 PM
When should I consider bringing it in? What is lowest temp that it can withstand?

Yes, I'm in Savannah. I have a friend who used to work at SCAD. I work for an insurance company here and I also work at Macy's department store evenings and weekends.
by NewRae on April 25, 2006 03:32 PM
Also, Jiffymouse, I should tell you that I bought this peace lily at Home Depot for $14.00, and it must be about 3.5 feet tall. And, it's healthy, too!!!
by Jiffymouse on April 26, 2006 10:37 AM
cool! i'd not let it be out when it gets into the low 50's. it will get damaged if it drops into the 40's.
by Andi on April 28, 2006 02:11 AM
NewRae, have you considered dividing the plant? If you do a root division you could have more that one peace lily and one to fit the area you intended. I've had one for the past 20 years and have divided it many times. If you look at the base of the plant you'll be able to see leaf stalks that are separate from the original plant ... take a very sharp knife and cut downward along the piece easiest separated. Make sure you have roots from the mother plant. They're pretty versatile plants and bounce back fast as long as they have the right growing conditions and don't catch a cold.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: