The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sweet potatoe vine(blacktie)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: sweet potatoe vine| Next thread: sweet potatoes »
Back to Thread index
by planesjimmycam on December 21, 2004 11:49 PM
Hi Everyone,
Last summer I grew a large sweet potatoe vine. In the fall when I went to dig up the potato, I found ALOT of small sweet potato's! I also found a huge 2 lb potato. I would like to know how to store the potato's so I can plant them in the spring. Any idea's? I am afraid of the potato's going bad by the time spring gets here.
Thank You,
Jim
by plantgirl on December 22, 2004 09:35 AM
I grew up in rural Illinois and we would leave our potatoes and sweet potatoes in the machine shed on a giant table like thing that had a mesh/screen top.

That way they would stay dry and cold and we would have veggies all winter long. If this works, you should be able to replant the eyes in the spring.

I haven't tried this in a while myself because, for the time being, I live in So Cal.

Good luck
by suzydaze on December 22, 2004 03:17 PM
I didn't try and save many of my potatoes, but I did start one in the house just in case my others are no good come spring. I love the leaves on this plant.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by gardenmom32210 on December 22, 2004 04:19 PM
quote:
start one in the house just in case
I have one growing in my kitchen. Can I use it come spring for growing more? I've never tried sweet potatos,but would love to [thumb]

G-Mom  -
by suzydaze on December 22, 2004 05:48 PM
Gmom, would you like one of the black ones? I can send you one I'm down to just small ones but they grow quick

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by planesjimmycam on December 23, 2004 05:53 AM
thanks everyone! :-)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sweet potatoe vine| Next thread: sweet potatoes »
Back to Thread index