The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbird vines---need help; lots of questions!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress 2| Next thread: Hummingbirds »
Back to Thread index
by Ronnie on September 17, 2005 12:08 AM
Have 3 HB Vines that i have grown from twigs and it's past time to replant, but just got the trellis and a small wimmsy resin frog with tiny saucer on top of his head large enough for 1 baby bird.
One vine is abt 16 inches long, it's trailing out of the tiny pot.

What are root-depth requirements for HB Vines? Should they be planted in the ground rather than in containers? What kind of soil additives? Any help is appreciated!

Was going to fill large cauldron-type container (12" dia x 3 inches deep) with dirt, holes for drainage, etc... place the wimmsy frog on TOP of the dirt to the side of the pot and plant the 3 HB vines in the center of this cauldron.
Wanted the vines to crawl up the trellis and the frog is just there cuz i like him!

My orig idea was to have the vines grow up a trellis that is not att'd to the house but would be anchored in the dirt somehow... haven't figured that one out yet. [Roll Eyes]

Not sure that i want to afix this trellis to the house, it is leaning in front of this unused side window that overlooks an eyesore of a neighbor's driveway.
(Blocking this eyesore is easier than moving away from here.)

sign me: 1st-time gardener

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress 2| Next thread: Hummingbirds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: