The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbird Progress 2

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by loz on April 30, 2006 10:45 AM
Actually we're pretty far apart....she's down in Georgia and I'm in Maryland, but the cool thing is her in-laws live about a few hours away from me..... [thumb]
by hick on April 30, 2006 06:12 PM
Update from southern Ontario. No hummers yet, but like all you lovers out there, I am ready and waiting. This year I hid the second around the other side of the garage, I am trying to outsmart the bully. He can not guard two at the same time if he can not see them at the same time. Hey, it is just a theory.

still trying to get it right.
by loz on May 01, 2006 11:49 PM
It was funny last night. I hung a HB feeder near my kitchen window...and I'd forgot about it being there.....Well I was standing near it and all of a sudden a hummer just about hit my head....I think I scared it as much as it scared me! [Big Grin] It's so cool to have them back again! [thumb]
by Triss on May 02, 2006 04:38 PM
I STILL keep ducking when they get to close to me. I hear a hummer, but my head sees it as a BIG bee!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by melcon6 on May 02, 2006 11:05 PM
You two just reminded me of a weird thought I had last night about a sci-fi horror movie and the title would be "The Hummingbirds" . [scaredy] [shocked] [dunno]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Wrennie on May 04, 2006 12:42 PM
WOO-HOO!!!!! [clappy]
7:30 PM may 3rd, (why does the forum tell me it's the 4th??) on my peach tree!! Woo-hoo!! My hummers are back! Yay!! [clappy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by melcon6 on May 04, 2006 12:49 PM
YAY WRENNIE !!!!!! [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -

by Thornius on May 04, 2006 05:51 PM
I AIN'T GOT NONE!! [Eek!] [tears]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by melcon6 on May 04, 2006 11:01 PM
I AIN'T GOT NONE EITHER, THORNY! [Eek!]

I swear though, at work yesterday, I was in one of the greenhouses doing some transplanting and I came flying outside because I thought I heard the familiar call of a hummer! I didn't see anything [Razz] .

I'm afraid we're gonna burn up this entire thread, you and I Thorny, just whining about how we haven't seen hummers, and then we'll have to start a "hummingbird progress PART THREE" [Eek!] [Eek!]

-
 -

by Wrennie on May 05, 2006 12:28 AM
Melcon, I could have sworn I heard one chirping yesterday but didnt see it until it was feeding on my peach buds at night. The first one I saw last year was around the same time of day. He had been to my front porch where the feeder was the year before and swooped passed me like 'ahem, lady wheres the brew?'
So maybe you DID hear one!
I cant believe they're not all over that trumpet vine Thornius!
Come out come out wherever you are!

-
 -

-

by obywan59 on May 05, 2006 03:55 AM
My hummer (or hummers) really seemed to enjoy the flowers on my variegated Solomon's Seal. They're starting to go now, but my first Weigela is beginning to bloom, so that should give him something to eat besides the sugar water for awhile. I had never noticed before this year, but some of the butterflies like my Corsage azalea flowers. I haven't seen any hummingbirds at it though.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Triss on May 05, 2006 06:04 AM
I am so surprised that you all still do not have them. Hope they get there fast!

-
 -
by loz on May 05, 2006 12:28 PM
I hope they get their for you guys too! I at least thought Thorny would have some by now in Tennessee!

I almost got hit in the head again tonight!!! I don't think I'll ever get used to that sound, I always thinks it's a gigantic huge bumble bee getting ready to wap me in the face! [Big Grin]
by Thornius on May 05, 2006 02:08 PM
They Are here in Tennessee! People just a couple of miles from me already have goodly numbers of them. They just won't come see me......and I palnted red Salvia and red Verbena and EVERYTHING! I'M THE BIRD MAN!! IT'S JUST......NOT......FAIR!!!!!!

-
 -
by loz on May 05, 2006 02:48 PM
You're right it isn't fair! They'd better hurry up and get there though! [thumb]
by melcon6 on May 09, 2006 11:35 PM
I was just cruising through here butterflies/bird gardens to check on all the latest bird pics and turned around to look out my window and guess who was perched on the favorite lil cherry tree????? Go ahead , guess???

That's right, May 09,2006 6:15 am, of course I ran around the house to wake everyone up to tell them and they aren't as excited as I am???? [nutz] My hands are shaking , but I did get this picture through the screen window!

-

-
 -

by Triss on May 10, 2006 05:55 AM
Very cool Mel! What kind is that one?

-
 -
by loz on May 10, 2006 06:18 AM
Wooohooo Mel, that's so great!!!! This year I made sure I wrote it down in my gardening journal that way I'll know if they come back the same day next year....

Glad you finally got them! [muggs]
by Thornius on May 10, 2006 07:02 AM
That's a male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, the only kind of Hummingbird found East of the Mississippi River.

-
 -
by melcon6 on May 10, 2006 11:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by loz:
Wooohooo Mel, that's so great!!!! This year I made sure I wrote it down in my gardening journal that way I'll know if they come back the same day next year....

Glad you finally got them! [muggs]

I wrote it down here , hopefully I can find this thread next year! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

by loz on May 10, 2006 12:26 PM
I hope so Mel!!! [muggs] I'd like to keep this topic around too....hopefully one of us doesn't delete it! [shocked]
by slredmond on May 13, 2006 05:32 AM
Finally saw my first hummer this morning! I've been feeding EVERYBODY all winter, and my neighbor (who didn't!) had a hummer a full week before me. Humpf!

Speaking of feeding - MAN can the starlings and grackles ever go through the food. I'm annoyed because they come roaring in like B52s and scare everybody else away.

Sandy R.
by Thornius on May 13, 2006 08:03 AM
I've been photographing Starlings stealing my suet all day long. I put out a new cake yesterdeay and it is already 2/3 gone!

-
 -
by loz on May 13, 2006 08:25 AM
Glad you finally saw your first one Thorny! [muggs]

Sorry about the starlings eating all of your suet though. [Razz]
by Thornius on May 13, 2006 09:50 AM
I didn't see a hummer, slredmond did. But I had a YARDBIRD 2 days ago, a Gray Catbird.

-
 -
by loz on May 13, 2006 10:13 AM
Ooops, my eyes misled me....sorry about that! [kissies]
by slredmond on May 14, 2006 12:07 AM
I love this forum to hear about the different birds we have in our regions - congrats on your visitor, Thornius. We've had a new visitor, and finally had the camera around when he stopped by.

Meet Gary the Grosbeak:
 -

Note the empty suet holders - can't keep up with the grackles!

Sandy R.
by Wrennie on May 14, 2006 01:27 AM
slredmond
If you get an upside down suet feeder the grackles and starlings will leave it alone and there will be plenty for the woodpeckers, wrens, nuthatches etc. Nothing wrong with everyone getting a share.

-
 -

-

by slredmond on May 14, 2006 04:05 AM
Thanks Wrennie - I'll have to look for one. My daughter and I brewed up our own cakes this morning. We decided they smelled great, so hopefully the birds will like them, too!

Sandy R.
by porter57 on May 14, 2006 02:13 PM
well , i saw my first hummer this past week.
trouble is, it wasnt at my house.
i went fishing for a week at bull shoals lake
and one day out in the boat i saw one hovering above us out on the lake. when i got home however i did notice that the feeder on the front porch had dropped a 1/4 inch si i guess i got em here now. just dont have the time to sit and watch for em now.gotta cut the grass and unpack everything from two weeks traveling so i guess ill spy em next week after ive put my house back in order. this place is a wreck!!!
by Thornius on May 14, 2006 04:13 PM
Still no hummers.....but I've NEVER seen so MANY Cedar Waxwings in my life, AND, I FINALLY HAVE A GRAY CATBIRD IN MY YARD!!! [grin] Also the Eastern Kingbirds are back and i have discovered a FOURTH nest in my yard. This time, ANOTHER House Sparrow nest. (And I planted 30 Cannas and 2 Easter lillies today).

-
 -
by porter57 on May 15, 2006 12:30 AM
well i got up early this morning and decided to have my coffee on the porch,GUESS WHAT?
they are here now. i saw a male ruby throat approach the feeder but he was to skittish to come to it while i was there.
i got hummers!!!!!
by Terrilee on May 15, 2006 03:20 AM
Hello all - I am excited to know that this group exists.

We moved last year from the "big city" to "cow country" and within the first week of moving in last July a hummingbird came to me while I was sitting on the porch within an arm's reach and began to skretch something, flipping it's tail back and forth, etc. That was my faulting moment. I was hooked worse than I could ever imagine. I left out within the hour and purchased my first hummingbird survival kit - LOL. My husband never experienced these little guys either and could not understand my fascination at first - until the day the sweetest little hummer came and did the very same thing to him that started it for me. From that moment on, he's never complained at me again for spending "useless" money on these guys. Matter of fact, he encourages me now.

I was so disappointed to realize they had to leave and had no idea when they would be back - I assumed when the weather had gotten above 60 F or so. But last week as the bulbs we planted last year (most everything had to be hummers treats) started blooming, I ran to the net to try and learn when they would come back to SE Michigan. Boy, was I pissed to learn that people had spotted them back in April. http://www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet/Links.htm I ran to the cupboard and starting mixing and filling - setting out all the feeders I had accumulated since last year.

Weather was chilly for a few days and still is actually, but I took a few minutes on Saturday, May 13th to sit on the porch watching the Cardinals and Chickadees feeding. And there is some bird I haven't identified popping in and out of my hanging ferns... Behold - they're back. Made my day when I seen this beautiful female Ruby Throated come feed. OMG - It was a day of celebration around here and the kids knew it. Sat for an hour outside and she came about every 10 minutes.

Well I should go, sorry for the long post. I just am overjoyed to share that I too love those little guys and have created my garden around them. I also hope to see some of our other Michigan hummers drop by for a spell or take up residence, if the Ruby lets them. Last year I watched one survey the feeder and attack others as they came, it was a fun game to watch them fly around the whole perimeter of our home at lightning speeds. LOL - I tried placing multiple feeders in the yard to stop the fighting but it didn't.

Wondering if I should include a birdie bath for them and if someone would suggest one over the other?

Does anyone have experience with (newly discovered by me) ready pre-mixed feed? Is it worth the extra costs?

Oh Happy Day!

TerrileeL@msn.com
by porter57 on May 15, 2006 03:33 AM
a bath is recommended and i got one this year
ive now seen a female and noticed another or maybe the same male feeding at the backyard feeder. dont give up hope thorny!
by Thornius on May 15, 2006 07:42 AM
No hope lost. Every year at this house my first hummers haven't shown up until around July 4th. That is the time they finish their nesting and they and their young starting on an ORGY of feeding at feeders and natural sources in preparation for their 24 hour long, non-stop flight across the Gulf of mexico to Central and South America, where they spend the Winter flitting about the ruins of ancient Mayan Cities.

Terrilee, welsome to the forum! I am Thornius, the resident Bird Man here. You do NOT need to buy commercial nectars. Hummingbirds prefer a homemade nectar made of one part white table sugar to four parts tap water. mix them together and heat in the microwave for one minute then stir again to completely dissolve the sugar. I use a 12 ounce cup for my measurer. I use one 12 ounce cup of sugar to fout 12 ounce cups of water. I store the extra in a 2 liter plastic drink jug in my freezer. Every three to five days I empty my feeders and wash them out with white vinegar and rinse them with water and refill them with nectar and hang them back up. I also plant a lot of RED flowers around my Hummer feeders to attract the hummers. A neighbor gave me 30 RED Cannas yesterday she got from a friend and I planted those yesterday evening. I have red Salvia, Red Verbena, red Gladiolus and red Petunias, also.

Hummingbirds are the MOST AGGRESSIVE birds in the world and fight each other and other birds CONSTANTLY over food sources. Once the young learn to fly, they are on their own and their parents will attack them if they try to use the parent's preferred feeders. It is amazing to watch. Also if your feeders get empty hummers will let you know by flying up in your face and chirp and buzz LOUDLY at you.

-
 -
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 11:55 AM
Hi [wavey]
Well you will never believe this but yesteday
my little one founded a baby hummer in our garage sitting on a hat,He caming running in and telling me he had something for me for Mother's day. [thumb] he know's how much i love the hummer's so here he came with it. I could not believe it so small and cute.we took picture of it and even got out a straw and we took hummer food and put in straw and it drank from it so cute just wanted to share the new's was so happy But the sad part was we let it go again so I sure hope it will come bk to visit us again.
bettyboop1948
 -
by bettyboop1948 on May 15, 2006 11:57 AM
Here is some more picture's of it so cute
bettyboop1948
 -

-
by Triss on May 15, 2006 11:58 AM
WOW! To be able to see a hummer that up close and personal is amazing. I hope it does come back and visit you again!

-
 -
by Bestofour on May 30, 2006 02:12 PM
I saw my first hummer yesterday. It gets later every year it seems.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Thornius on May 30, 2006 02:53 PM
Last week I FINALLY saw my first Hummer.....but NOT in my yard. I saw it feeding on some Honeysuckle at Long Hunter State Park, about 10 or 15 miles southeast of my house.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: