The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plant gifts.... Need help....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: plant for bathroom with one window| Next thread: plant help »
Back to Thread index
by beebiz on March 16, 2006 09:09 AM
Hey all,

As some of you know, I've been looking for a house plant that flowers (in addition to the AV's that we have) to satisfy my wife. Today, a friend of ours brought us three plants that she had purchased at Wally World for us. One is a Gardenia that has both white and yellow blooms. I did a search about Gardenias. I don't mean to sound ungreatful, but from what I have read, they are not exactly the easiest plant in the world to grow!! Is that true or not? Any suggestions or recommendations as to how a Gardenia newbie should care for it?

Here is a pic of the plant:
 -

The other two plants that she gave us are simply labeled "Rose Flower." The label also says "Let Dry Before Watering," and Bright Indirect Light." No scientific name or anything. Here's a pic of the label:
 -

There is one that has red/pink blooms and one that has yellow blooms. Here is a pic of the one with red/pink blooms:
 -

The leaves are kind of thick and rubbery like lots of succulents that I've seen in the past. I've tried doing a search for them, but have found nothing other than information about rose bushes and miniature roses. Can anyone help me with more information about this plant? If so, I would cerainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by RugbyHukr on March 16, 2006 11:03 PM
looks like a double flower kalanchoe

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Will Creed on March 17, 2006 10:00 AM
Gardenias are one of the more difficult plants to grow and bloom indoors successfully. Gardenias are not easy to bloom indoors because they have rather strict temperature requirements. Temperatures between 55 and 65 degrees are essential when gardenias are in bud or bloom. Bud drop occurs above 70 degrees. Bud deformity occurs below 55 degrees. Letting the soil get too dry will also cause bud drop. In addition, a change in environment will also sometimes cause bud drop.

Direct sunlight, high humidity, and acidic soil (5.0 pH) are also important for maintaining gardenias successfully. Avoid repotting until it is utterly potbound. Use an acid fertilizer, such as Miracid, but don't overdo it. Good luck with this challenging plant!

Kalanchoes must have bright indirect sunlight all day with a few hours of early or late day direct light. A minimum of 4 hours of direct sun every day is essential for flowering. Do not repot it and avoid fertilizer for the first year! It is a succulent and likes dry soil, but will not go for a long time without any water as a cactus will. It prefers warm temps, never below 60 degrees. To extend flower life, provide temps in the 50 to 70 degree range. It is a “short- day” plant that will flower at any time of the year. However, to set buds it must have at least 16 hours of completely dark nights for 3 months. This is more than most owners can manage. That is why this is often used as a "throw-away” plant that is discarded after it finishes flowering.

I don't mean to discourage you here, but thought you should know what these plants need to thrive and flower once again. However, if you are satisfied keeping them as foliage plants, then they are a lot less demanding.

Will Creed
interior landscaper
by beebiz on March 17, 2006 10:23 AM
Thanks so much for the information guys!

Will Creed, I've got to admit that I'm not quite as enthusiastic now as I would have been with some more AV's!! [Wink] But, I will do my best to care for them as you have instructed and we shall see what happens!!

Will Creed said:
quote:
However, to set buds it must have at least 16 hours of completely dark nights for 3 months.
Can this requirement be met by placing them in a dark closet for 16 hours per day and leaving them in a room with indirect sunlight for the remaining 8 hours of each day? If not, do you have any other suggestions as to the best way to satisfy their craving for darkness?

And one last thing..... how are they propagated? They sound like a real pain in the butt, but they are pretty!!

Thanks again for the information!!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Will Creed on March 17, 2006 11:56 AM
Closeting your plant every night for 3 months will work, but it is a huge pain in the butt. You can keep it outside in the fall when the days get shorter if your local temps are not too cold. How about building a temperature and light-controlled greenhouse for it?! LOL!

You can propagate tip cuttings with 2 or 3 sets of leaves in moist soil and kept inside of a humidity tent.
by beebiz on March 17, 2006 09:29 PM
Thanks Will Creed. I have no doubt that the closet deal would be a bit of a pain, but from a financial standpoint, right now the greenhouse (though an ideal situation) is not an option. The winters here get way too cold for them. This winter has been quite unusually warm so far. But, normally we get temps that will dip down into the teens and single digits. We have enven been known to get a night or two down below 0*!! And, from what little I know about succulents I don't think those low temps would be very healthy for these guys!!

Will Creed said:
quote:
You can propagate tip cuttings with 2 or 3 sets of leaves in moist soil and kept inside of a humidity tent.
Does it require a misting system or can you use a plastic baggie over the container to create the humidity tent?

Thanks again for all of your help!! [thumb]

by tkhooper on March 17, 2006 10:13 PM
I would love some cuttings when you get around to doing that. I have the single bloom orange one that I can trade you. Mine is currently in bloom and after it is finished is when I've been told to take the cuttings.

-
 -
by Will Creed on March 18, 2006 02:34 AM
Sorry, I was being facetious about the greenhouse.

A humidity tent is far better than misting for maintaining humidity. Misting only raises the humidity for the short time that the droplets are still visible. Unless you are misting hourly, it doesn't help much.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: plant for bathroom with one window| Next thread: plant help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: