The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

a question for aaron d about orchid mix

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2006 12:06 PM
i bought some orchid mix for the two orchids i got on sale,

but it is really coarse, chunky stuff. in one of your answers to something you mentioned fine orchid mix? what is that and where can i get it?
by Marajane on March 14, 2006 10:45 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread, Jiffymouse and Aaron, but I bought my "fine" orchid mix from Home Depot. Lowe's carries it as well, and I have seen it at my local nursery (wish I had bought it there!). There a few online orchid stores that sell it as well, but I'm not sure if I can post those links here.
I am always so tempted to buy the orchids I see on sale, but I seem to do quite well killing the ones I buy at full price, so if it ain't broke... [Wink]
by Aaron D on March 14, 2006 11:01 AM
Well a good fine easy-to-make mix is 50/50 peat moss and perlite or vermiculite... this will make a slight acid mix...or just chopped tree fern bits and peat moss...which will be more neutral... pH
by Aaron D on March 14, 2006 11:03 AM
the first mix will be more airy and fast draining while the second one will retain moisture a little longer..what kind of orchids do you have? if you dont mind me asking [Smile]
by Jiffymouse on March 14, 2006 12:12 PM
i'll have to look and post tomorrow, but thanks for answering so quick. that is definitely NOT [Mad] what schultz is selling as orchid mix.
by angelblossom on March 15, 2006 09:08 AM
Glad you asked that ? JiffyM.. I thought it was awfully chunky also..(Shultz) I've never seen any other orchid mix but shultz I went to the home depot near my job and they only carry the schulz but they said it depends on the store and would order another brand of a finer mix If enough people requested it.

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by CatherineC on April 26, 2006 05:33 PM
i have real good luck with a bark mix.... but, the mix shultz sells at most lowes, home depots etc is not the best by any means.... i get mine from an exclusively orchid greenhouse near me.... is portersorchids.com, if you are looking.... also, tropiflora.com sells a bark mix....

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
by joclyn on April 27, 2006 07:14 AM
my phal came in sphangum moss and that's what i've kept it in...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: