The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anybody try those miniature citrus trees yet?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 03:44 AM
Hi,

Thinking about buying these miniature citrus tree's from michagan bulb - Cost 19.99 for 4 types - Orange, Tangerine, Lemon and lime. Potted. Seemed like a good deal. Anyone else have these? Care tips? How's the flavor? Picking times and suggestions? Pictures?

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 04:18 AM
Michigan Bulb doesn't have a very good reputation so I would try for one cheap thing first and if that went well then try a larger order. But then that's just because I've had some bad luck with on line nurseries in the past so I'm shy of them now.

-
 -
by barleychown on March 08, 2006 04:33 AM
I think in your neck of the woods you would have to bring them in every winter. Do you have room and good light for that?

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 04:40 AM
Yea, actually they were in the houseplant section, and I was planning on have them indoors all year. I have very many windows in my home.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 04:43 AM
I found out about the Michigan bulb from my aunt cause all there plants are guaranteed, so if one dies for any reason you get your money back. I guess she's had a few die before and just has called and she usually just orders something else instead...

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 04:49 AM
Well for your indoor garden just remember that to try for partial shade to full shade tropical plants and you should do fine. You may still need to add additional light to any you have in the north facing windows.

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 05:04 AM
You are soo funny I just ordered a lemon and lime

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 05:06 AM
From mich bulb thanks to the 40 bucks I got for the ones that did not grow... They have a lifetime guarentee so I don't have a prob...

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 06:05 AM
When are they shipping spring?

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 06:23 AM
next month around easter

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 06:24 AM
I'll test them out for you

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 08, 2006 06:49 AM
I'm ordering a lemon citrus tree from them..but they were only 5 or 6 dollars not 20$..hmm i dunno. I also ordered Boston fern, lavender, hardy hibiscuss,and trumpet vina along with the citrus tree.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 07:00 AM
the 20 was for 4 different varieites - orange, tangerine, lemon and lime

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 08, 2006 07:02 AM
ohh byeing them alltoghether..ok..i think u should buy one and if it works out buy the others but thats just my opinion

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 07:04 AM
just was better priced - thrn buying seperate - that's all... plus it's so hard to choose...

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 08, 2006 07:43 AM
yea it is.. i dunno..what do you want to do? its really up to u but u also hav to concider do u hav the space for them when u bring them in for the winter?

-
by SpringFever on March 08, 2006 08:14 PM
It is cheaper but I thought I would try it out and see if they would even grow.. Really wanted the banana tree but I thought it was a little large.. I am sure my kids will get a kick out of it though

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 10:45 PM
I saw that to, and you know how b-boy loves bananas. I was thinking if I ordered just one it might be that or the tangerine.

-
 -
by papito on March 08, 2006 11:18 PM
If you are forced to choose just one, I would go for the dwarf lemon tree. But, with four, you will have fun learning how to care for them indoor. Here is a link to Growing Citrus As Houseplants

Check also What Varieties Are Best for Indoor Growing?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by FlowerNewbie on March 09, 2006 12:03 AM
wow, thanks papi, this website was very helpful!

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 09, 2006 01:09 AM
Okay that website got me excited about the citrus trees so at michagan bulb I had an order on backorder (till spring) and made a new order with my new 20 off coupon for everything between buy1 get ones I only spent $45.40 including shipping cause I made 2 orders both with the $20 off coupon - Can't beat it with a stick... So here's what I got

Climbing Shell Plant - 2 - 3.98
Pansy Mix - 6 - 7.99
Citrus, Miniature Collection - 4 - 19.99
Hydrangea Blue Full Moon - 3 - 4.99
Freesia Mixed - 14 - 4.99
Begonia Hanging Yellow Basket - 3 - 7.99
Fragrant Collection w/Basket (Jasmine/Gardenia) 2 - 7.99
Trumpet Vine Collection (yellow & orange) 2 - 6.99
Dancing Dolphin Vine - 1 - 3.99

If you're wondering why some I got quite a few of is because that's how they come...

Great buys huh! Those prices are pretty much half off to after the coupon...

-
 -
by Will Creed on March 09, 2006 05:22 AM
Ornamental citrus trees sold as houseplants are very high maintenance and often disappointing.

You must have a lot of direct sun for them all day long and cool nighttime temps during the winter. You must be very attentive to their watering needs as they are not very forgiving of either under or over watering. They require an acidic soil and an acid fertilizer, such as Miracid. Scale and mealybugs are frequently attracted to citrus plants. To get fruit you have to hand pollinate the flowers unless you are keeping bees indoors, as well!

I am not trying to discourage you here, just pointing out some of the problem areas that many people struggle with. Know what you are getting into before you lay out the bucks!

Will Creed
Indoor landscaper
NYC
by FlowerNewbie on March 09, 2006 05:25 AM
ohh, you're an interior landscaper... that's sounds like what I need... do you have pics of your work?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 09, 2006 05:28 AM
or any ideas of good plants I should keep my eye out for. I am zone 6 and have a ton of windows. I'm on the 3 floor of a 3 family and have at least 2 windows in every room of my house - usaully 3 or 4. I wanted to do window boxes but not really sure of things that would go well together for in indoor window box.

-
 -
by vutch on March 11, 2006 10:57 AM
like previous post your money is refunded if the plant dies so it would be a win win prop for you I want to try myself but am in zone 3 the far north part burrrrrrrrrr :>
by FlowerNewbie on March 11, 2006 11:03 AM
zone 3! That is brrrrrr.... what do you grow around there?

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 14, 2006 07:04 AM
I cant wait to get my Lemon citrus to.. and papito that was a good link. I just have to wait 1 more month!

-
by FlowerNewbie on March 14, 2006 07:22 AM
I know can't wait that month till the pring mailing starts!

-
 -
by ceeview on October 22, 2006 06:41 AM
I just received one lemon tree from Wayside Gardems. It was shipped in a 3qt container and will be grown inside until the summer. I'll have it growing in my sunroom so I hope that will be enough sun.

I was assured when I purchased it that it could be grown inside in my zone...Zone 6. The description says it will be grow to 8ft. tall so this should be interesting.

CeeView
by tkhooper on October 22, 2006 06:44 AM
Your right I think your in for an interesting time. Keep us posted on how it does.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: