The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hollyhocks--- and cana's

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hollyhocks| Next thread: HOLY COW! My daylilies sprouted! »
Back to Thread index
by sweetie on October 07, 2004 05:58 PM
can anyone tell me if the pea size balls on the dead part of the flower of my cana's is what i need to save and plant for more cana's?
and also-- i have found some black hollyhocks. they didnt do anything tis year. as in flowering, do they flwer the first year? thanks for ANY HELP!!!!!! SWEETIE [Eek!]
by catlover on October 07, 2004 06:40 PM
Hi Sweetie...welcome to The Garden Helper! [wayey]
I don't know the answer but just want to inform you I am moving your post to plants/flowers and see if you can get a quicker response.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on October 07, 2004 09:19 PM
Hi Sweetie!

The part of the canna that you'll want to save is the root, or rhizome. Wait until the whole plant top dies off, then cut it off and lift the root. It may be rather enormous! Save it in a paper bag in a dark, cool, dry place in your house for planting after the weather warms in the spring.

As for the hollyhocks- they are biennials, which means that they spend the first year establishing their roots. You should see your flowers next year!

-
 -
by femilr on October 09, 2004 07:11 PM
Here's what I have found in saving seeds from canna's. Yes that little seed is a canna seed and that's where tuber's come from. You can plant that anytime inside (if you live in a cold zone) and it may take a year or so but it will turn into a small tuber. As for hollyhock seeds, I live in Zone 4 (where it gets extremely cold in the winter) and they are perennials here. I've had them for years and they will reseed themselves, or you can save the seeds and plant in the spring in a new area. I have always had them bloom the first year. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hollyhocks| Next thread: HOLY COW! My daylilies sprouted! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: