The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hollyhocks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hollyhocks| Next thread: hollyhocks--- and cana's »
Back to Thread index
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 04:24 AM
I just got some packs of hollyhock seeds from Lowes last week. I planted them in some pots and some have already started to sprout!!! My question is once they get bigger should I move them to the place I want them in my garden or should I keep them in the pots until spring?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 04:32 AM
From what I understand about hollyhocks is that you can put them in the garden now and this way you'll get flowers next year. What does your seedling look like? I planted some in the ground, and I'm not sure if the little seedlings are weeds or my hollyhocks.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 06:00 AM
Here is a picture of mine (easier to show than describe [Wink] )

-

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 06:09 AM
Oh! I'm so excited those are the seedlings I've got poking up!! Thanks!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 06:12 AM
I can't wait for them to grow!!!

Monica

-

by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 06:25 AM
Neither can I! I hope that we'll both have lots of flowers next year and lots of seeds too!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 11:27 AM
ME too, we will have to keep each other posted on their progress!!!

Monica

-

by tkhooper on August 11, 2006 11:47 AM
You definitely want them in their permanent position. They have a very long tap root. And you want to stake them before they develope their root system so as to not disturb it when they need staking. Make sure whatever you use is very sturdy because you get multiple stems from each plant and they are thick. I was so suprised this year with mine.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 01:29 PM
Should I move them from the pot to the ground?

Monica

-

by plantqueen on August 12, 2006 03:10 AM
I live in zone 4a. Is it too late to start my hollyhock seeds?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 03:59 AM
About staking Hollyhocks...They may not need any staking, I grew some that were over 12 foot tall and did not require staking. Most Hollyhocks do not grow that tall and should not require stakes.

-
 -
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 03:59 AM
Plantqueen - I was wondering the same thing. Hey - I just noticed you are a Minnesota girl! Can I ask where?

PattyM
by tkhooper on August 12, 2006 05:15 AM
mine were only about 4 feet and boy howdy did they need stakes. Maybe it was because I grew them in a container. But they were leaning so low they took out the barberry that was planted infront of them.

Now the hollyhocks that are much shorter are leaning over almost to the ground.

I've seen others that stand tall so I really have no idea why mine do that.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 12, 2006 05:29 AM
I planted my hollyhocks around my "T" shaped clothesline and also up next to the house. This way, if they do need support it won't be difficult to provide some. I've also got several seeds that I am trying to grow inside (my first indoor seeding attempt). Hopefully these guys will grow and I can add them to the existing patches.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 07:30 AM
Tammy, I wonder if having the Hollyhocks planted in a container would be the cause of them leaning so badly? In a container, they can't put out a good, deep root system that would help them stay erect. Just a guess here as I haven't grown them in years. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by plantqueen on August 12, 2006 07:37 AM
ND Farm Girl......I live in southern MN. About an hour southwest of the twin cities. Whereabouts are you in ND?

So, does nobody have an idea about me planting hollyhock seeds right now???

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 07:54 AM
Plantqueen, I would think you have time to plant your Hollyhock seeds now and the resulting small, new plants should overwinter there with protection. Seems like I've read they are hardy to z3. Go back to the first couple of posts in this thread to get an idea of how to handle your seeds. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by plantqueen on August 12, 2006 08:07 AM
Thanks Tulsa! Should I cover them over the winter? Like with mulch or hay?

-
 -

-

by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 11:13 AM
Dang, I don't know how much protection they would need there. Maybe one of the other ladies can answer that question.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 02:41 PM
The Hollyhock seed package I have says they are annuals - ???? Huh?

Plantqueen - I grew up in Minnesota, Dilworth - a small town next to Fargo/Moorhead. Now I'm in ND.

PattyM
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 02:48 PM
They are actually biannuals, meaning the first year the plant develop and then the bloom the second year, drop seeds, die and start the process all over again

Monica

-

by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 03:18 PM
Oh! If I plant some right now, could I plant them this fall and cover them with mulch over the winter?

PattyM
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 04:55 PM
I'm not sure, this is my first year with them. From what I have read and heard, if you plant now and let them do their thing over the winter, they should bloom next year. The back of my seed pack says the best time for you to plant there in ND is May-June. Here in SC, where it's like living in a jungle, I can plant March-August.

Monica

-

by plantqueen on August 15, 2006 03:52 AM
I have never heard of Dilworth ND Farm Girl but you are the closest person to me that I have found on here! How exciting!

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hollyhocks| Next thread: hollyhocks--- and cana's »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: