The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pruning hydrangea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Pruning holly| Next thread: pruning in July »
Back to Thread index
by Back Mountain NEPA on September 22, 2004 08:16 PM
Is it too late to prune my hydrangea? I had transplanted it from someone else's garden a couple years ago, and was unable to dig out the entire plant. So, I wasn't alarmed that it didn't flower right the following year. I was just happy that it survived. This year, however, the only flowers that appeared were down low in the middle, just as they had been the first year. I suspect I just need to prune it now, but is it too late, or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of?
by loz on September 22, 2004 09:48 PM
Hi there, do you know what type of hydrangeas they are? You should prune in late dormant season for those that produce blooms on new growth, and after they bloom for those flowering on previous years growth.......I have 5 of them and I prune all of mine towards spring......Do you feed your hydrangeas? I feed mine and they produce really nice blooms.....to get the biggest flower clusters reduce the number of stems, and for numerous medium sized clusters keep more stems.....Since I prune mine at a different time than you do I'm not sure how it would affect yours if you do it now......but if you have the type that you prune after they flower then I probably would go ahead and do it.
by Back Mountain NEPA on September 22, 2004 10:27 PM
I wish I did know what type they were. They're a traditional kind with big blue blossoms (at least they were blue when I dug the plant out). I can't ask the person who planted it because it was at a rental property my son purchased. I know it was springtime and they were in bloom then. Maybe I will take a chance and prune it this year. How far back should I take it? We do have colder temps where it is now--a few degrees colder than the valley city where it originally was. I have been feeding it. How about mulch for the winter? Can it be permanently mulched, or do I have to pull it back in spring? Thanks for the help. Sounds like you have a great garden!
by Newt on September 23, 2004 02:05 AM
Hi Back Mountain,
This site will help you to id your hydrangea and how to prune it.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Back Mountain NEPA on September 23, 2004 07:31 PM
Thanks for the great site! I added it to my Favorites list. It answered all my questions. Mine is a mophead. I'm still not positive of the variety--the pictures didn't show as much of the leaves as I would have liked. I still have cuttings from the year I transplanted it, and the dye suggestion was just what I was looking for, too.
by Newt on September 23, 2004 09:32 PM
Back Mountain,
You are so very welcome! Glad you found that site helpful. If you have an idea of which one you have, you can always do a search at google and click on 'Images' and you might get a good look at the leaves from some of the pictures. Since you took cuttings, it may be an old fashioned one.

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by sidheblooms on September 24, 2004 02:31 AM
ummm. i LOVE hydrangas! they are such an amazing striking plant. i dont have any advice which you wouldnt have already gotten..but i am a fan.
i am in the process of drying about 12 HUGE blooms..blue, pink and yellow/green/white.. Yummy!

i always amend the soil in the fall to ensure that i get the richest color as possible the next year. even though i only have a couple in my own yard..many of my clients have been persuaded to purchase these sure winners.

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Back Mountain NEPA on September 24, 2004 11:16 PM
They really are a beautiful plant, and so much more controllable (size & shape-wise) than a lot of other shrubs. I love my forsythia, but the trimming drives me crazy.
by Newt on September 25, 2004 06:47 PM
Back Mountain,
I don't know how you prune your forsythia, but it's best to cut the oldest stems flush with the ground. That should make it a little easier and give it a more cascading look.

Newt

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pruning holly| Next thread: pruning in July »
Back to Thread index