The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new hydrangea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Houseplants!| Next thread: New Kraft food & family magazine »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on March 04, 2004 07:21 PM
This bush is on AOL's newspage as the latest greatest!
Only thing is... it is pretty pricey - $38 each!

quote:
The New Superflower
from Sunset
Every now and then there's a botanical breakthrough that sets the plant world aquiver. The latest is the Endless Summer bigleaf hydrangea (H. macrophylla bailmer). Unlike other bigleafs, it forms blooms on new as well as old wood. So it's always pumping out pink or blue flowers -- even plants whose top growth is killed back to the ground will bloom next season
Anyone know/have this plant?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by rue anemone on March 06, 2004 06:30 PM
I ould like to get my hands on one of those. How wonderful for those in the colder zones!

-
 -
by Barb H. on March 08, 2004 06:39 PM
Did ya get a look at it? What makes it so special??

Barb

-
by plants 'n pots on March 09, 2004 03:26 AM
What I could gather from their ad is that it blooms longer because:

quote:
Unlike other bigleafs, it forms blooms on new as well as old wood. So it's always pumping out pink or blue flowers -- even plants whose top growth is killed back to the ground will bloom next season
don't know anything else about it - sorry...

-
 -
by Barb H. on March 09, 2004 08:12 PM
I don't know much about hydrangeas, except that I think they are gorgeous! I planted two last summer and I hope they survived the winter. They were so incredibly gorgeous. I just wanted to figure out why they cost so much. I bought two of them for thirty dollars last year...so i bet they are really special.

Barb

-
by plants 'n pots on March 09, 2004 09:41 PM
Usually when a plant is new, they charge an outrageous price for them, and as they grow more and more of them the price comes down some. I'm not rushing into buying this, but did find it interesting...

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 16, 2004 09:55 PM
hey lynne, i saw in an email from wayside gardens that they have a hydrangea that blooms on old and new wood also, but theirs only cost around $14.95! ya want me to post a link to them?
by plants 'n pots on March 16, 2004 10:11 PM
Thanks for the offer Jiffy - for now I'm good with hydrangeas - no room at the inn! [Big Grin]

I'm actually gonna wait and see if the 2 variegated ones made it through the winter - I put them in a new garden still in their pots for now and am not sure if they made it...

but thanks for thinking of me! [kissies]

-
 -
by Barb H. on March 23, 2004 08:09 PM
Gang,

I'm having some work done on the outside of the house. Luckily I've been taking stuff out of the beds to start fresh, but I did plant those small hydrangeas outside which are now being mashed by feet, ladders, etc. I hope they come back from this!!!!!!! They were sooo beautiful last summer!

Barb H.

-
by Jiffymouse on March 23, 2004 08:35 PM
barb, i had one by my front door in florida that suffered under the feet of 3, 5, & 10 yr olds for 5 years. i tried to dig it up, dig it out, divide it, kill it, some times i think it lived in spite of me!!
by Jiffymouse on March 23, 2004 08:38 PM
by the way, wish i had it at this house [Roll Eyes]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Houseplants!| Next thread: New Kraft food & family magazine »
Back to Thread index