The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

trials/trumphs,

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tri-Color Succulents| Next thread: Triangle Palm »
Back to Thread index
by sibyl on November 02, 2006 11:28 PM
thought we could share our trials/triumphs! [gabby]

my trials this year was i planted my little annuals too close to my big annuals. you could hardly see the little things. good thing is i can redo em next year, and add alot more from all the seeds i got from the fall fling!!!
im still trying to put a flower bed all the way down the driveway, its all rock, so i gotta use a claw,and its taking forever!

-
 -
by netty on November 04, 2006 09:34 PM
Sibyl-we have ALOT of rock here too and it does indeed slow down progress.
My trial? I'm having alot of trouble finding an annual flowering vine that can stand up to the wind and full sun. Tried Morning Glory and Black Eyed Susan vine so far. Not sure what to try next. Idea's anyone [dunno]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on November 05, 2006 04:53 AM
netty - have you tried purple hyacinth bean, or scarlet runner bean? I grow both every year on an arbor and they do very well in sun and wind.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by netty on November 05, 2006 05:57 AM
Nope, have not tried those yet. I think I have some purple hyacinth seeds coming in from a trade too! [grin]

-
 -
by loz on November 05, 2006 08:23 AM
Hmmm, I'd say my biggest trial this year was the placement of my pond! It totally messed up how I water all the flowers. Usually I can just drag the hose straight down, but now I can't do that and it's a pain in my rear. [Big Grin] Other than that I'd say that I just sort of lose my joy for weeding/watering around August when it's super hot....
by myndful on November 06, 2006 08:16 PM
Biggest triumph: Having a wonderfully indulgent future husband around to do the heavy-duty stuff. [clappy]

Biggest trial: Convincing that wonderfully indulgent future husband to do the heavy-duty stuff. [critic]

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by roflol on November 07, 2006 11:56 AM
Netty, cardinal climber (aka cardinal creeper) thrives in full sun and requires no care once established. Not sure about the wind part, we just get your average occasional tornadic activity (or "micro-bursts" as the insurance companies like to call them, lol) here but nothing persistent.

My triumph was replacing hundreds of orange daylilies with 5 Siskiyou pink gaura in fall 2005. Found out too late they don't set seed so not sure what will happen if I can't get volunteers and they die, but they fared very well over the winter and were absolutely delightful all summer long this year, and were where several monarch caterpillars chose to make their chrysalides (I think they liked the bindweed I couldn't get rid of within the gaura). Our house is the bus stop for several of the neighbor kids including my son, so the first thing everybody did each morning was check to see if anything had hatched, and they eventually all did!

My trial was planting my white and pink cypress vines so late, and in too shady a spot. The white never came up, and the pink didn't bloom as well as it probably could have because of the shade. Live and learn!
by netty on November 08, 2006 05:49 AM
It just so happens that I got some Cardinal climber seeds from a trade I did! Oh and look...they were from YOU! Thanks roflol [kissies]

-
 -
by roflol on November 08, 2006 07:54 AM
lol, did I send you some? I guess once I delete the PMs to clean up my box, I can't remember a thing... good Lord, Topamax really *does* make me dumb as a box of rocks (I thought crazymeds.org was kidding, but it sure did cut down on the migraines so the trade-off is worth it most of the time).

[perplexed]
by sibyl on November 08, 2006 02:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by myndful:
Biggest triumph: Having a wonderfully indulgent future husband around to do the heavy-duty stuff. [clappy]

Biggest trial: Convincing that wonderfully indulgent future husband to do the heavy-duty stuff. [critic]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
thats so true!

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 09, 2006 03:09 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tri-Color Succulents| Next thread: Triangle Palm »
Back to Thread index