The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Triangle Palm

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: trials/trumphs,| Next thread: Trillium »
Back to Thread index
by cherylpc on June 09, 2006 03:14 PM
I have two triangle palm trees. They have done well for the last two years. Over the last two months they both are turning yellow and brown and look like they are going to die. What is wrong? What can I do to save them? Can anyone help?
by Longy on June 09, 2006 05:57 PM
Are they planted in a lawn? Do they receive ample moisture? Have you fertilised recently or done anything else along those lines.

-
The secret is the soil.
by cherylpc on June 11, 2006 04:10 AM
They are planted on a flat part of the yard. They were recently fertilized and they have ice plant growing around them.
by joclyn on June 11, 2006 06:17 AM
i read something recently about iceplants being considered invasive. they might be the issue.

i don't remember where i read it...might have been on the usda site under the invasive plants area or it could have been a state site (florida, north carolina, ohio are a few that have such listings).

california has a page with a listing for invasive plants too...in fact, now that i'm thinking about it, i think that's where i read about it.
by Longy on June 11, 2006 07:31 AM
OK, i wondered if they were being out competed for water and nutrient by a lawn. I dunno what an ice plant is. Is it possible that when you fertilised them either the soil was not moist enough, not watered enough afterwards or that you gave them too much fertiliser?
Alternatively, is it possible they are too wet rather than too dry?
Their root system is concentrated relatively shallow, so competition from other plants may be a factor, including lawn grasses. The best triangle palms i've seen are in heavily mulched areas and the worst ones are growing in a lawn. Usually don't get any water. They look yellowed with brown tips, similar to your description.

OK. Just looked up Ice plant. Carpobrotus edulis . Though i found a few more. The problem of common names i guess. Anyway,
it's a succulent. Drought tolerant. I'm wondering if your palms need a more regular deep soaking. Is the lack of water theory a strong possibility? Throw in some fertiliser with too little water and you may have what you're talking about.

Here's my triangle palm. It's in a gravelly moist soil with lots of organic matter and plenty of other similar types of plant. The roots are well protected from direct summer sun which keeps them cool on hot days.

-
The secret is the soil.
by joclyn on June 11, 2006 02:13 PM
well, i'm confused!

from the usda site: Mesembryanthemum crystallinum L., common iceplant

from the california invasive plant council: Carpobrotus edulis, hottentot fig or iceplant

two different classifications for 'iceplant' and the two look different too. if you have the one from the california site, the info i read there says it can spread from the root...it's reasonable to say that it's roots are choking out the palms.
by Longy on June 11, 2006 11:37 PM
That's the problem with common names. Ice plant could be lots of different things, depending upon where you live. Still a succulent though.
I still wonder if the palm is getting enough moisture.

-
The secret is the soil.
by RugbyHukr on June 12, 2006 02:48 AM
out here, most 'iceplants' are family Delosperma.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by cherylpc on June 12, 2006 03:35 AM
Thank you all for the information. I am going to trim the ice plant back, mulch, fertilize and water. It sounds very reasonable that, that is the problem. Just this year the ice plant became over grown and is taking over the yard, I bet your right and that is the problem.

Thanks again
Cheryl
by Longy on June 12, 2006 07:00 AM
MAybe hold off on the fertiliser until you've given the palm a good deep watering. Then wait to see if it picks up. If you fertilised recently and it was dry, the fert you used will still be present and you risk over fertilising and burning the roots. I don't think the iceplant will be a problem as long as there is enough water for the palm to get its share. So give it deep regular soakings.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: trials/trumphs,| Next thread: Trillium »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: