The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Day lillies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Day Lilies asleep| Next thread: Day Lillies »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on July 26, 2005 12:29 AM
I was fortunate to obtain 12 day lillies of various species. They were all small starts, I planted them they had a little bit of green in them, well they look kinda brownish now still some green. My question is should i cut them down to the ground level to allow the plant to concentrate on rooting or just keep what growth is there and leave it alone?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by PAR_Gardener on July 26, 2005 12:49 AM
Karrie,

Just leave them alone. Day lillies are vary hardy, almost hard to kill. Do not cut them down to the ground. You want to keep the leaves, so that they can convert sun light into energy. If you are really concerned about them getting established, then you may want to cut any flower stalks this year, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Karrie on July 26, 2005 01:43 AM
Thank you so much! I really hope these establish. I just love day lillies

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by hisgal2 on July 26, 2005 04:56 AM
this sounds horrible, but somebody gave me a huge chunk of daylilies in a plastic shopping bag. I took them home, but didn't have the time to get them planted...and didn't really know where I wanted to plant them. So, they sat at the shaded side of my house and I watered them every other day. Well, they actually bloomed like that...then....we had a nasty heat wave and it killed the leaves. I looked at the bag yesterday and the plants are actually putting out new leaves!! So, I wouldn't worry about the. They are tough buggers!

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Day Lilies asleep| Next thread: Day Lillies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: