The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Amish or Friendship Bread

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: americana| Next thread: amorphophallus titanium »
Back to Thread index
by chenno on January 11, 2007 08:06 AM
Did you ever make or try.....it is so good..the 10 day bread?

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by SpringFever on January 11, 2007 12:01 PM
Never tried but sounds interesting!!! [thumb] [thumb]

How do you do it?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Dixie Angel on January 11, 2007 12:26 PM
I'll have to ask my aunt if that is the kind of bread she makes all the time. If it is, that is some good stuff! I love it!

Dianna

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on January 11, 2007 12:29 PM
Is that where you like have dough stuff and you give some of it away and the person adds to it and makes bread and keeps some of the dough stuff and gives it away...and it sorta lasts forever?

If that didn't make sense please disregard.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by chenno on January 11, 2007 12:53 PM
quote:
Is that where you like have dough stuff and you give some of it away and the person adds to it and makes bread and keeps some of the dough stuff and gives it away...and it sorta lasts forever?

If that didn't make sense please disregard.
haha made sense to me..yup that is the bread,,,it is real good..

Let me know if anyone wants the starter recipe;-)

-
 -
Plutarch
by afgreyparrot on January 11, 2007 08:33 PM
I want it!

I had it many years ago...an Amish woman gave it to my late husband when he was at their farm buying pumpkins. It's wonderful!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Dixie Angel on January 11, 2007 09:17 PM
That must be the bread that my aunt makes then, because it takes her awhile to get it going. I would love the recipe. Doesn't do any good to ask Aunt Bonnie about a recipe. She measures in smidgens of this and pinches of that. I need a scientific formula... [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by chenno on January 12, 2007 12:07 AM
Amish Friendship Bread Starter

"Yeast, sugar, milk and flour ferment to make starter for sweet bread. Because the recipe produces so much starter, give some away to friends."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (.25 ounce) package active
dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110
degrees F/45 degrees C) 3 cups all-purpose flour,
divided
3 cups white sugar, divided
3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

-
 -
Plutarch
by chenno on January 12, 2007 12:09 AM
After the 10 process you can add differnt things you like to jazz it up...here is another to add to the starter b/4 baking..I like chocalate chips and pumpkin..adujust how you like:-)

Amish Friendship Bread II
Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes

"With your starter at the ready, you can make this version with vanilla pudding mix, raisins, nuts and dates."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup
Amish Friendship Bread
Starter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 (5 ounce) package instant
vanilla pudding mix
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dates, pitted and
chopped

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, stir together Amish Friendship Starter, oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into the starter mixture. Mix in the vanilla pudding mix. Fold in the chopped nuts, raisins and dates. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

-
 -
Plutarch
by chenno on January 12, 2007 12:30 AM
Another note...It freezes well:-)the starters, so if you want to make another time.

-
 -
Plutarch
by SpringFever on January 12, 2007 09:01 AM
MMMM sounds yummy thanks Angie!! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Dixie Angel on January 12, 2007 09:05 AM
Thanks, Angie! Now I can make me some and not have to guess on the measurements...

Dianna

-
 -
by chenno on January 12, 2007 09:37 AM
[thumb]

-
 -
Plutarch
by Jiffymouse on January 12, 2007 11:32 AM
you can freeze the starters? so, if i made one, gave one to ellie, and then i could give one to kate to put in the freezer at jojo's so when she is there, she can make him some bread?

am i understanding you right? and we could make several, and freeze them for when we need lots of homemade bread? what if we just want plain bread out of it? what is that recipe?
by chenno on January 13, 2007 12:10 AM
Jiffy, after you make the starter,on the 10th day you have 4 cups, 1 to bake and you can either give other away,or freeze at that point. or bake them all, or freeze them all...

as far as the plain bread, just bake from the starter recipe. if you want to add other things, just do so at day 10 and bake. do not add extra stuff to freeze, just before baking..

does that make sense?

-
 -
Plutarch
by plantqueen on January 13, 2007 02:31 AM
I have been making this bread for about 6 or 7 years now and every year I freeze a few of the starter bags! That reminds me that I have some in the freezer now and should take one out so that we can have some bread in 10 days. This is the time of year that I always start making it!!! [thumb]

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by chenno on January 14, 2007 01:52 AM
Jess,I like it too, and bake this time of year as well..I started Fri and will be ready to bake sunday am,and then off to pick Rita up from airport:-)

-
 -
Plutarch
by chenno on January 14, 2007 08:06 AM
Jiffy, did you start yet?let me know..

-
 -
Plutarch
by Jiffymouse on January 14, 2007 11:58 AM
i fell asleep! [Embarrassed] so i'll start it in the morning.
by Triss on January 14, 2007 01:16 PM
That is a good recipe. I have never done one with yeast so I am going to have to try this one out and see how it compares.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Jiffymouse on January 14, 2007 01:50 PM
i remember my last question! during days 1-10, it sits on the counter, right? and only gets refrigerated at day 10, till you start it again?
by Triss on January 14, 2007 01:57 PM
As far as I know it does sit on the counter Jiffy. I know the one I have done without yeast does. The room temp air is what helps to "ferment" the mix.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on January 14, 2007 10:55 PM
that's what i thought. i've seen these before, but this is the first one i've wanted to try.

there is another one out there that is a fruit based one, and that one has to be refrigerated, it takes a can of pineapple, and misc. other fruit, one day at a time, but i don't have the recipe any more because i never actually did it.
by Triss on January 14, 2007 11:11 PM
I have never seen one like that Jiffy. I know the one I have done starts with just 1C of each flour, milk and sugar but other than that, looks very similar to the one Angie posted.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on January 14, 2007 11:21 PM
when i lived in ca, there was one that went around the base, and it was fruit based. cherries, oranges, pineapples, and i don't know what all. you added one one day, one the next, and so on, then you divided it and baked it. made a fruit bread that tastes better than fruit cake.
by Triss on January 14, 2007 11:28 PM
Well that sure sounds interesting. Going to have to search around for that one.

-
 -
by chenno on January 17, 2007 01:32 AM
Yup, It stays on the counter Jiff, and only goes in freezer after day 10 to save it:-)if you choose too.

-
 -
Plutarch
by chenno on January 17, 2007 11:54 AM
jiff did you start your bread?

-
 -
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: americana| Next thread: amorphophallus titanium »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: