The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

amorphophallus titanium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Amish or Friendship Bread| Next thread: *^%$#@^&%** Beetles!! »
Back to Thread index
by mAineAc on August 11, 2004 04:02 AM
I have the plant mentioned in the subject. I bought a small tuber and it is growing. It is about 15 inches tall right now. The foliage is nice but I can't wait for the flower [Smile] What I would like to know is what kind of long term care I will need to give it over the next five or so years before it will produce a flower. It isn't in a very big pot right now and it was just a temp. It growing as good as it hasbeen has been a surprise. Any suggestions on care would be greatly appreciated.
by Bess of the Piedmont on August 11, 2004 06:37 PM
What?! Where'd you get one of those? I saw one atthe Washington National Botanical Garden greenhouse this past winter as it was in the process of unfurling it's gigantic, stinky bloom. The bud was a good three or four feet tall. Egads!

Anyway, my Mynah Plant Book (2001) says:
"Mostly tropical and frost tender, these plants prefer a sheltered, humid position nd deep, fertile, humus-rich soil. Water well in the summer growing season. After the foliage dies back in fall (autumn) the tuber should be kept fairly dry. In colder climates the tubers can be lifted and stored over winter. Propagation is mainly by transplanted tubers, which usually multiply by small offsets."

Sounds like the first thing to do is get that baby out of its little temp pot and into some deep, rich, moist soil as soon as possible.

Congratulations on your very exotic addition!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Amish or Friendship Bread| Next thread: *^%$#@^&%** Beetles!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: