The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

trellis-es

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Trellis ideas?| Next thread: Trenching tomato plants »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on August 11, 2006 11:07 AM
is it possible to build your own trellis?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by netwiz on August 11, 2006 03:39 PM
I was given some good ideas for a cheap trellis in this thread. Can you post the directions for building one if you find any? Thanks and good luck!

Joanne
by gailo on August 12, 2006 03:32 AM
I built some natural looking ones with tree prunings and a power screw driver and screws. It was fun.

gailo
by kennyso on August 12, 2006 07:58 AM
Well, I was thinking of making another one myself (a really simple grid one) but wasn't sure if it would look too good. I want different ideas for different vine. Basically this is how I made the one I have now:

1. lay bamboo sticks on the grass parrallell to each other spaced as wide as you like (mine are 4" apart) and mark along the bamboo in even intervals starting about 10-12 inches from the bottom (mine for squares so bamboo is 4" apart and marks ar 4" along the bamboo)

next, lay a stick of bamboo over the second mark that you make, the bamboo across is across the SAME MARK on each bamboo pieces that is parralell, tie a knot at each intersection point

+ + + + +
+ + + + +

OR

+ + + + +

+ + + + +

The + are where the bamboo sticks meet and where a knot is tied, the first one is a square trellis, the scond one is a trellis with rectangular spaces.

3. put your trellis into the ground until the ground is level with your set of first marks so the first bamboo cane across is a few inches (however big you intervals were) from the soil. the extra 10-12inches from the bottom is to be inserted into the gound

I guess a variation to this would be to use wooden planks and use screws, that way, you can fold the trellis away.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by netwiz on August 12, 2006 08:17 AM
Thanks for the instructions Kennyso. I'm still up in the air on whether to buy a few or just try to make them myself. Doesn't sound very hard at all!

Joanne
by dodge on August 13, 2006 02:31 PM
netwiz

If you can weld........Make your own out of steel bars.......we did .
Round on top like a U upside down.. Or 2 U's.. and joined the 2 together with straight pieces. You can do that with wood also...If your able to bend the top board in shape...

I have seen one made from the tree branches and bolted together........Very rustic.. Let all the bark on it...

dodge [muggs]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by netwiz on August 14, 2006 03:40 PM
Thanks dodge. I don't think I'll be able to weld one but the tree branches bolted together sounds just my speed. [thumb]

Joanne
by dodge on August 15, 2006 01:12 AM
netwiz
Gogger

It did look nice....They used the branches of the tree about the size of a baseball.. Bark and all......

Let me see your results, If you do it.

We had lots of free steel from a friend and rigged it up.Isnt perfect but does work.

dodge..........good luck [Love]

-
 -
by netwiz on August 15, 2006 04:22 AM
Free stuff is always nice! I'll post a picture once I'm done. I'm not the most "handy" person around so I'm not sure how it will come out. Never hurts to try though.

Joanne
by dodge on August 15, 2006 04:50 AM
netwiz....

You bet your booties.......

I say Natural is a necessity......

Wood is natural..

barb
dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum