The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Trellis ideas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Trees-American Sweetgum| Next thread: trellis-es »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on February 28, 2005 07:44 AM
This is the plan...I'm thinking of potted vines (datura, moon vine, morning glory...?) to cover this wall. Does anyone know of an inexpensive (translate free) way to trellis? I'm thinking of tying thin branches together.

How many vines can I plant into each 3 gallon pot?

-
by frustratedattimes on February 28, 2005 02:04 PM
Cricket,
One idea I have seen, was using stainless steel eye screws, and then spider - webbing wire back and forth across it, then just training the vines to grow up it. Have you thought about clematis or honeysuckle or even climbing roses???
Hope this helps some.
[muggs]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Cricket on February 28, 2005 03:55 PM
Hey Frustrated,

That's a good idea for trellising! Thanks for the suggestion. Clematis might be a good idea, too - it's growing a few feet away from that wall on a railing, so that would tie in nicely. Also thinking of passiflora. I'd like to create a fragrant, showy look in purples/pinks/blue/white. Maybe throw in a splash of yellow if I can find anything appropriate.
by Cricket on March 01, 2005 02:02 AM
Today I was given a bunch of bamboo stakes. Is bamboo strong enough to use as a trellis?

Does anyone know how many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gallon pot?
by Cricket on March 02, 2005 11:54 PM
Bringing this back up...

How many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gal. pot? More than 1? My cathedral bells seedlings are ready to pot.
by Jiffymouse on March 03, 2005 01:51 AM
i'd be comfortable putting up to 3 per pot... depending on the type of vine...
by Jiffymouse on March 03, 2005 01:57 AM
oh yeah, and about the bamboo stakes... it depends on the diameter/type of bamboo and the vine in question... not much help, am i? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by weezie13 on March 03, 2005 02:11 AM
I'd say the same, it would depend on the
type of vine....

Any chance of building a *as long as the wall is*
and maybe 8", 10" or 12" deep wooden planter box
the length of the wall you're covering???

You'd get alot more root room....
If you're covering a huge section like that??

And how tall are the bamboo stakes???

And did you tell us which way the wall is facing?
Does it get morning sun, and/or all day sun??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Cricket on March 03, 2005 09:22 AM
Thanks, y'all! (G-Mom's posts have given me a southern accent [Big Grin] )

quote:
depending on the type of vine...

So far I've started cathedral bells, with plans to also sow morning glories, angel's trumpet, moonvine and, maybe, passiflora. I think I'm forgetting one or 2.

quote:
about the bamboo stakes... it depends on the diameter/type of bamboo and the vine in question...
quote:
And how tall are the bamboo stakes
The bamboo stakes are 4ft tall, 1/4" in diameter. The plan is to use them as my horizontal supports and small tree branches as vertical supports, placing the verticals in the pots before adding soil, one or two to each pot. Does this sound feasible?

quote:
Any chance of building a *as long as the wall is*
and maybe 8", 10" or 12" deep wooden planter box

No. There is limited space between the house and the pool and I don't want to obstruct the walkway with anything permanent. There would also be a drainage problem with the risk of water seeping into the foundation. [Frown]

quote:
And did you tell us which way the wall is facing?

The wall has a southern exposure - it receives sun all day.
by suzydaze on March 03, 2005 03:24 PM
I used like kite string to make mine climb on a wall last year. I couldn't afford trellises, so my mom suggested that I place a tack so high up on the wall and run string from the ground to the tack. Works okay as long as it's not too wind where it'll be. I had some on the corners and the first tornado winds we had took them down on one side. but they are easy to put back up.

this year I think I'm gonna go with baskets from hooks and let my vines trail out and down for a different look.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by weezie13 on March 03, 2005 03:32 PM
I used 100 lb test fishing line....
Use something along the lines of eye hooks
all the way to the top!!!!

Mine wasn't that long, and at the end of the
season, I snipped the lower part and the dead
vine just dropped straight down!!!!

I grew morning glories up mine..

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bestofour on March 05, 2005 02:55 AM
do you have a picture of the cathedral bells. Never seen em.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by StarLightAssistanceAnimals on March 09, 2005 05:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cricket:
Bringing this back up...

How many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gal. pot? More than 1? My cathedral bells seedlings are ready to pot.

Morning Glory --about 7 seeds. I had one pot with 7 and they looked nice but the one with more looked too croweded so I thinned--lost so many seeds from the thinned out plants-.

www.starlightassistanceanimals.org
by Cricket on March 09, 2005 05:50 AM
Thanks! [thumb] I want the pots to look full but don't want to waste seeds by thinning much.
by Cricket on March 18, 2005 08:29 AM
quote:
do you have a picture of the cathedral bells. Never seen em.

Cathedral Bells

This is my first year growing them...so far very easy. Sowed the seeds the beginning of February and potted them this week. They're already about 8" high, now growing up to a couple inches a day!
by sachis2112 on March 24, 2005 09:14 AM
Cricket, I think that whether or not any given material will be strong enough is dependent upon how you plan to anchor it. The eye-hooks thusfar seems like the best idea to me. It's a tall wall.

BTW, I hate, hate, HATE morning glory. [Mad] That stuff has nearly destroyed my back fence and I've been fighting it these last 3 years to keep it away from the house. I'm not kidding. [Mad] It's coming after the house. I've actually been fighting it for 7 years... since I moved into this place. [Mad]

Oh, sure they SAY they're annuals... but those dang roots stay warm enough to survive, the little buggers. The thing has grown up into a tree so high that there's no way for me to use round-up. [Mad] I can't clip the buds before the seed pods drop.... Oh... there's the other thing... only the stuff that's made to kill poison ivy or other SERIOUSLY invasive plants works on the stuff... [Mad] not to mention the skin irritation and the fact that kids are getting high off of it... [Mad]

All that being said... I'm all for Clematis [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
by Cricket on March 24, 2005 10:50 AM
I'm really not worried about morning glories being invasive because they'll be potted. Their colors will go well with the other vines I'm growing and there aren't children around to concern me.
by frustratedattimes on March 24, 2005 01:50 PM
unwanted climbing vines are a fact of life around here in Georgia. I have found that if you take a pair of limb loppers, and just cut the vine off above the ground, if it is climbing into a tree will kill the upper part, and when the part left in the ground starts to grow just spray it.

I have killed poison ivy, honeysuckle, morning glory, even some english ivy that way.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by linda12159 on March 24, 2005 05:48 PM
cricket, i didn't realize cathedral bells were cup and saucer vine. cool!! is it true that they have to be sown on their sides. could you elaborate alttle bit for me on how that works? are you leaving them in a pot? thanks, Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by Cricket on March 24, 2005 10:09 PM
Linda,

When I sowed my cathedral bells, I didn't know they had to be planted on their sides, so I wasn't particularly careful about their placement. They all germinated very quickly. When they had few true leaves, I transplanted them into pots and am now acclimatizing them to the outdoors, where they will have a permanent home (in pots) by the end of March. They really are one of the easiest (so far) vines!

Cricket
by gardenmom32210 on March 25, 2005 04:45 PM
quote:
(G-Mom's posts have given me a southern accent )
[thumb] [Big Grin] [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]
by weezie13 on March 25, 2005 05:08 PM
Cricket,
Have you seen something like this???
Rolling Planter/Trellis

I was thinking alot taller trellis than what's pictured, you've got such a high~open area there on the side..

But that type of planter box, on wheels with a trellis....looked nice to me..

Weezie

Found a wooden one without wheels

Found a bunch of cute accents for your yard, and trellis' and arbors... Make sure you scroll all the way down to the bottom.....

Okay, one more idea....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Trees-American Sweetgum| Next thread: trellis-es »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: