The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

slugs in garden and home!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: SLUGS AND BEER| Next thread: Slumming in Seattle »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 3 2
by caligirl on July 13, 2005 04:37 PM
posted July 13, 2005 03:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
I am newbie garderner from east coat just moved to west coast. I have a major snail and slug problem in my garden... have tried beer, snail bait (but toxic!!) and cleaned/weeded and have lots of fragrant plants slugs hate (lavender, geraniums etc). They seemed to go down in numbers and beter with the recent sunny days,. But recently, we found big black slugs squeezing into very small cracks in the house and doorframes! YUK!!!!!!
Any advice, does anyone else in the beautiful bay area gardens have slugs?? Or am i the only one with the slimy buggers trying to get in the house!
Also, I hear diatomous earth is good, any advice on this?

Help this new Cali girl from getting grossed out and get her flower garden back!

thanks!
by atreus on July 15, 2005 04:18 AM
To stop them gettin into the haouse you can use a strip of copper metal on the step. They don't like to ooze over copper.

Any cat food/ dog food behind the door they are squeezing under? they love that stuff!

Hope this helps [Smile]

http://www.atreusonline2.com/garden.php
by Dixie Angel on July 15, 2005 05:34 AM
Welcome to the forum, caligirl!

From what I have gathered here on the forum, you can send the slugs to party with Cindy's. Or you might let atreus recruit them for his army. [Big Grin]

Seriously, the only thing I know to do is get out the old salt shaker and melt them down. I have heard they like beer and that you can drown them.

If you use the DE, how 'bout let me know how it works.

Dianna

-
 -
by atreus on July 16, 2005 02:25 AM
Oh, yes. My ranks swell with every passing night [thumb]

http://www.atreusonline2.com/garden.php
by firebetty on July 18, 2005 09:55 AM
EWWWW SLUGGGGS!!!!
I had the same problem after the heavy rains we had this year. (I'm in cali too). I know it sounds really basic, but I bought a big container of morton salt, and laid a line of it down in front of the door (outside) They don't cross a line of salt, because it kills them by dehydrating them. I also checked the seals on all the doors. I had to replace the one in the back because it was wide open...we've since not had any nasty little slugs in our house.

I have slugs in one of my potted plants. They pretty much killed it by the time I realized what was going on. I heard that soapy water will get rid of them? Does anyone know if this is true?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: SLUGS AND BEER| Next thread: Slumming in Seattle »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: