The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

justing saying clay soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by cammasam on March 31, 2006 11:43 PM
I want to know if anyone has a cure for clay soil,I've tried several things..
by Amigatec on April 01, 2006 12:14 AM
What are you trying to do with it?

I have clay soil myself.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by patches1414 on April 01, 2006 01:35 AM
Hi, it's patches again and I came down here to answer your questions. I live in Illinois and we have a lot of clay soil here, so I had to learn to work with it. Here's what I did!

If you make your own compost, use this to amend the soil in your garden and add as much organic material as you can. If possible, get the organic stuff down into the soil about 4 to 6 inches. I used compost and topsoil when I did my garden beds. The lawn was an entirely different matter because of it's size, so I treated it with Li’l Perk, which is a soil treatment concentrate for compacted soil and poor drainage. I treat my lawn regularly and have been very pleased with the results. [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on April 01, 2006 07:26 PM
Common amendments for clay are gypsum and sand. The gypsum brakes down the soil and the said loosens it up so it doesn't get compacted. Compost is wonderful also.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 01, 2006 11:56 PM
tk...the sand helps only if you add organic matter, too. At our place, we have pure sand, but others here in central Oklahoma have pure clay with NO organic matter in it. With soil like that, the only way to garden is to remove a portion of the clay and amend VERY heavily or just build raised beds.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Amigatec on April 02, 2006 07:37 AM
I have added a LOT of wood chips and compost to mine.

So far it is nice and loose.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: