The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

JV and I went to Dallas Home & garden show

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:01 AM
Jimmy met me and lead me into Downtown Dallas traffic Hell with a couple of near misses (crashes! [shocked] [scaredy] for both of us we made it there in one piece And He safely lead me back to the main Highway that would lead me on Home what a Dear he is!! They were late opening the doors to the public so we had to stand out side for close to an hour but Jimmy kept me laughing as we watched person after person go to the doors and try to pull open ALL the Locks doors where there was a sign clearly stating Show starts at 2:00 Finally a guy approached the door and Read the sign , So he didn't try to open the doors..., Jimmy says HMMM this one can read..., Okay I guess you had to be there [Big Grin] [Big Grin]  -

and ....  -

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 11:08 AM
oooooooooooh~oooooooooooh....
Looks like Jimmy was having a goooood time..
Where's Dianne in those picturezzzzzzz????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:23 AM
Okay Weezie I'm getting there!!! I know I'm still trying to figure out this photo bucket thing [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb] [kissies]

So We're in now and we walk and walk and sit down and walk somemore wanting to find the gardening and houseplant section the home and furniture was basically 75% of show and they stuck the garden area WAAAY in the back

and We were seeking out Aarons Group
 -

-

-
 -
by JV on March 04, 2006 11:28 AM
We were the only ones laughing everyone else mad because doors were locked and they can't read 4 inch sign .
 -
Angelblossom and Aaron
 -
Why worry about what you can't control laugh at it instead.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:30 AM
We walk around some more stalling for time waiting on Aarons arrival

-

-

We both are about ready to leave so I asked a person from Aarons group take our picture and we left him a note saying we had to go and sorry we missed him

-
 -
by JV on March 04, 2006 11:30 AM
More Dallas Home and Garden
 -
 -

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by afgreyparrot on March 04, 2006 11:32 AM
This is so cool! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:33 AM
Hey There's Aaron!!  -

-

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:36 AM
This is what i bought from Aarons Group I lost the paper that was with it but I beleive its callted the Till tri-color air plant It's about to bloom  -

-

-
 -
by JV on March 04, 2006 11:36 AM
Angelblossom leaving note for Aaron
 -
 -
Cannot remember last time I had this much fun. And even releaxed. Angelbloosom is great to be around and so much fun. Thank you Diane for going with me [kissies] Other wise I probably wouldn't have gone. No fun when your alone at these.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by afgreyparrot on March 04, 2006 11:40 AM
It looks like you all had a blast! [grin] [thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by JV on March 04, 2006 11:40 AM
Diane I noticed you never said nothing about the lady in Parrot Rescue thinking you were my daughter [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:41 AM
Sure am Glad I went and Meet Aaron and Spent some time with Jimmy Just goes to show you Great People we have one here Oh BTW this is my pitcher plant I bought the other day I've wanted one for SOOOO Long!!  -

more cactus and succulents from show
 -

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 11:41 AM
oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhh, this IS SO COOLLLLLLLL!!

THANK~YOU, ALLLLLLLL 3 OF YOU, TO DO THIS..
THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Very nice to meet you Diane, and Aaron!!!

Very cool indeed!!! [wavey] [gabby] [flower] [flower] [thumb] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 11:44 AM
That's a wayyyyyyyy cool pitcher plant!!!

*What's inside the pitcher???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 11:51 AM
Oh Yeah Jimmy I forgot!! Jimmy stopped at the Parrot and friends rescue booth (pictured above) and after a while I moved around to another area leaving Jimmy there ... As I'm told later The Lady asked Jimmy Where'd his Daughter go,, Jimmy Asked MY Daughter?? She said yes that lady that was with you,,,Jimmy replied She's not my daughter ,, she my Friend,, The Lady said OH I thought that was your Daughter you two look like each other [nutz] [Roll Eyes]
I can only guess she's a few feathers short and had been on her feet too long [lala] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

WHew Jimmy you kept me laughing almost the whole time And yes WE did have a blast even tho I blistered the tip of my tongue tasting some hot sausa which Jimmy says wasn't hot at all!!! [shocked] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by JV on March 04, 2006 11:55 AM
It wasn't very hot. I have some here that is a lot hotter eat it on eggs alot. Also remember where I was raised we had to eat all the chili peppers we didn't sell. [shocked]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by comfrey on March 04, 2006 12:00 PM
Great Pictures! Looks like everyone had a good time!

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 04, 2006 12:07 PM
Weezie I Fill the pitchers half way up with distilled water although it prefers rain water and it helps keep the humidity aided to plant when its evaporated it has fine hairs in it and the inside 'skin' is sticky and shouldn't ever be touched by human fingers (won't hurt us but will hurt the plant) that captures insects i.e.gnats etc and feeds upon them I have to feed it once a month it was just fed so I have time to research more I 've heard the bigger the insect say a baby fly for example is even better because they struggle to get out and it harder for them because of the weight they slide down further and futher into the 'belly' of the pitcher a carvonious plant per say
They require warm humid envoirnment and no direct light I have this one placed in my east window in spare Bdroom that is turning out to be the east loving humid warm plant room LOL! Yes this plant is tooooo cool,, this is just a smaller specie the larger pitcher plants are over the top cool!! OHHH But sooo expensive!!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 04, 2006 11:29 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!

Looks like you both had a terrific time!
Nice to meet you all!

What a terrific picturelog of your fun day too!

That pitcher plant is waaaaaay cool! One of Brian's housemates collected them - he grew them in terrariums for the humidity because it was so dry in their house. He had one that he showed me that was about 1/2 the size of your's Diane, and it cost him $75 on the internet!!! Must be really nice that a 22 year old can afford to buy plants like that!

I'm so glad that you all got to meet up and have such a wonderful time. Thanks again for sharing your day with us here.

Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by peppereater on March 04, 2006 11:49 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! I wish I could have been there.
Is Aaron a member here?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on March 05, 2006 12:34 AM
I absolutely love all of the pics. Love the fact that you two got to spend so much time together and had such a wonderful time. Thank you both for sharing with us. I almost felt like I was there a little bit too!!!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by ShirlS on March 05, 2006 01:48 AM
Great Pics!!

Nice to see all your wonderful smiles.
What type of plant is that one with the purple flowers? Is it actually potted in soil or hung on the wood that is supporting it?

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by plants 'n pots on March 05, 2006 02:19 AM
I forgot to ask that, Shirl - thanks!
I just loved that plant with the swirling edges too!

-
 -
by princessazlea on March 05, 2006 03:14 AM
Great pics!!
Thanks for sharing. [wavey]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by angelblossom on March 05, 2006 03:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ShirlS:

What type of plant is that one with the purple flowers? Is it actually potted in soil or hung on the wood that is supporting it?

I'd love to tell you what that plant is but I lost the paper Aaron wrote it down but we can ask him when he comes back on here. I reeeaally wanted to buy a 'pup' from it but they were $15.oo and Veeerrry small. and the 15.00 was firm! [tears] It IS from the air plant family and that plant is awesome! The flower truely smells heavenly!! Even the pups had curley ends and yes it was mounted to a piece of wood actually tied on Aaron explained that the curley ends eventually help hold it on as it locks and curls around the tied material. Fantastic plant and a slow grower but worth the wait.

-
 -
by JV on March 05, 2006 09:42 AM
Dave yes Aaron is a memeber here. I wish you could have been here too. We could have driven Diane batty [Big Grin] Triss we shared because we wanted everyone to see what we did today and the fun we had. I wish everyone could have gone with us. Diane still looking for the place to take that cetain photograph [tongue] [thumb] [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by weezie13 on March 05, 2006 10:10 AM
We are seriously hopin' that The Canadian's, Christina and Penny from Ontario can get together next I believe..
*and maybe Netty too??*

***Carly's out of town for that weekend or she might have tried too***

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by loz on March 05, 2006 11:27 PM
Wow, it's so great that you guys got to meet!

I felt like I was there with you all! [thumb]

It sure looks like you had a really fantastic time! [grin]
by JV on March 05, 2006 11:51 PM
Loz we have met I think twice before and your right we had a great time. We wanted to make everyone feel as if they were there with us. wish everyone could have been we could have taken it over and threw out all the huksters from late night TV selling thier over priced junk. Diane is comfortable to be around and so easy to have fun and laugh with.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by loz on March 05, 2006 11:59 PM
Wow I had no idea that you guys had met up before....that's so neat! [thumb]
by Amigatec on March 06, 2006 01:01 AM
I like to see pictures of the people posting here or on any other forum I post on.

I have met some nice people that way.

I met my wife through an Internet dating service.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by JV on March 06, 2006 01:17 AM
Try this link to the plant Diane bought as well as the one with the bloom.
The Gardener's Forum: Aarons Tillandsia (Bromeliads) "Air plants
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on March 06, 2006 01:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JV:
We wanted to make everyone feel as if they were there with us. wish everyone could have been we could have taken it over and threw out all the huksters from late night TV selling thier over priced junk. Diane is comfortable to be around and so easy to have fun and laugh with.
Jimmy

Oh Yes Jimmy They were crazy over priced!! OH the look on that guys face when you said the wolf on your shirt was a picture of your brother!! And you stuck by that too, which gave him the incentive to double his sales pitch [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , he's still pitching as we walk away.Many many late night tv hustlers there LOL
Thank you for the compliment however Jimmy as you know when two or more Free-Spirited fun-lovin' people get together we can't help but have fun!! Your are soooooo Funny and laughter is the best medicine.
I sure hope the Canadians get together and share with us that would be soooo great !!! I'D love seeing pic of people here too (I'm clearing my throat Weezie!!, and everyone else) LOLOL). [kissies]
So Much Love it here!!!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 06, 2006 01:32 AM
If Diane is still reading this thread...

I was wondering if you have the book about carnivorous plants called "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato? I've been told that it's the carnivorous gardeners' bible. He was just on the tv show "Gardening by the yard" with Paul James - very interesting segment on those fascinating plants.

I bought it for my son after he became interested in his housemate's plants, but he quickly lost interest - figured they were too much trouble and time away from his computer games!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 06, 2006 01:33 AM
ooops - guess you ARE still here!!! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 06, 2006 01:55 AM
Wow I didn't watch it today But I'll look it up!
I reaaly need to know what to feed that plant!! LOL

-
 -
by melcon6 on March 06, 2006 03:10 AM
Wow, I finally got to this thread and it's awesome! [thumb]
Well written and well documented. [clappy]
Thank you both for sharing this with us. [kissies]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by angelblossom on March 06, 2006 05:15 AM
plant'npots and Shirls I found the paper> the name of the plant is Tillandsia durattii -curley end air plant

The one I bought is tillandsia tricolor airplant YEA.
pitcher plant-----
Lynne I looked up T"The savage garden" and got good info!! Fertilize with superthrive at less than 1/2 strenght every 3-4 months if necc.. or upon repotting doesn't like repotting or disturbed roots and feed with pet store crickets (cold freeze untill they stop moving so they won't get away from me when I feed the plant they revive quickley so I gotta be fast LOL) and if I shake the pitcher after feeding it will make the water more acidic so cricket will decompose faster.LOL
And don't catch flies to feed it because they carrie diseases and fungi and bacteria that can kill the plant pet store insects are better, mealy worms are okay and last longer in fridge but cricket seem give pitcher plants a boost of growth Thanks for the Name of the book I appreciate It.
Diane

-
 -
by cinta on March 06, 2006 05:19 AM
You guys looked like you had a lot of fun. I wish I was there.

Thanks for sharing the laughter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on March 06, 2006 10:23 AM
jimmy, you said aaron was a member,what's his member name? and i'm still jealous. i so wanted to go, but just couldn't make it that far [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by ShirlS on March 06, 2006 11:52 AM
Angelblossom,

Thanks for finding the name of the plant! That thing must be 30 yrs old, being that big ( seeing as they usually grow slow)
Very nice picture plant too!

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by angelblossom on March 06, 2006 12:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
jimmy, you said aaron was a member,what's his member name? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
JiffyM its Aaron D # 8020 he's in cactus and succulents and specializes in bromelaids He made me aware that the Dallas show was going to take place in the forum.

Shirls> My DH found the paper Aaron gave me ! Lots of info on that paper more than I thought it has plant care for types of bromelaids tho the care of the tillandsia Durattii wasn't on it , but I can only imagine it wasn't to many years shy of 30 years old [Big Grin] Dang I can't wait that long for it to grow that big we just have to wait on AAron to get back to ask him I really want a pup tho !!

-
 -
by Patty S on March 06, 2006 06:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by melcon6:
Wow, I finally got to this thread and it's awesome!
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
I almost felt like I was there a little bit too!!!
quote:
Originally posted by angelblossom:
when two or more Free-Spirited fun-lovin' people get together we can't help but have fun!!
That just about says everything I was thinking as I read through this! I cant wait till G-mom gets to Cindy's house... That'll be another Landmark occasion for the people here, for sure! Pictures, pictures pictures... Can't post enough pictures when these things happen! Thanx ever-so, Diane & Jimmy, for sharing all this excitement with us through your pictures!

It's SOOO cool when members of this forum family get together, & I'd like to think that the enthusiasm for putting forth the effort & making such plans is contagious... which will make it happen!

I'd only been hanging around here for a few weeks when I almost met Papito. He came down with the flu just before my trip to northern California,  - but managed to get some beautiful plants to me while I was there! (When I get back down there this November, I'm hoping that we'll be able to finally get together.)

When I first met Sarah a couple weeks later, I didn't realize how special taking pictures would be, to the people here! (In fact, I didn't even think about taking pictures while I was there,  - ... but I did take one of her picket fence with all the pretty Christmas bows on it, as I was leaving!) [Big Grin] The second time we got together, 6 weeks later, my daughter was with me & we took pictures of each other, & of Sarah's fish tank, & in the terrific plant store she'd told us about!

Since then, Triss has gone to Sarah's house & posted pictures of their visit & of her adventurous trip with her 6 kids, & now Diane & Jimmy have shared their get-together with us, & it's just all SOOO exciting!

I'm really hoping that more people will jump on the bandwagon & make the effort to visit a friend from here, if they're within a reasonable distance of each other ... it just pulls us all in closer together, when that happens! Before the summer is out, I'm sure that Triss & Sarah & I will get together, because we're within a couple hundred miles of each other. (Talk about a threesome! I'm sure that by the time we part ways, we'll have learned to talk simultaneously & still hear everything that's said!) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now I'm rambling... but I think I'm still "on topic" here! I've enjoyed this thread so much, & just wanted to thank Diana & Jimmy for taking us along on their fun filled day! {THANKS!!) [kissies]

Make plans, people! [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -
by Aaron D on March 09, 2006 11:14 AM
Hey everyone i am back! [Smile] i was busy doing some stuff... so angelblossm what did you want to know about your Tillandsia? i plan on posting my pics of the show as soon as the 'photobucket' website get back up and running (they are doing maintenance)
by Aaron D on March 09, 2006 11:18 AM
well if you and JV want to go to another show this weekend is going to be the Fort Worth Home and Garden show... at the Will Rodgers Convention Center... i wont go i have other plans for that weekend... not only that but the bromeliad society doesnt go to that show... the Cactus society will be at the Ridgemar Mall i think sometime the following weekend selling MORE plants... [Smile]
by angelblossom on March 09, 2006 11:57 AM
Hey Aaron!! [wavey] I was just wondering if you got rested up from those three days!!!

The tillandisia tricolor I have how long does it take it to bloom?? I have it in my kitchen window south side the window itself is glass of defused lighting is the location okay?? I have been misting it every 3 days is that okay??
How long does the bloom last?? as soon as it blooms I will post a pic.. it was very nice to meet you!

Btw I REAAALY want a pup from the T. Durattii!!
I'm on the look out!! [lala] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Amigatec on March 09, 2006 10:53 PM
FYI there is a home and garden show in Tulsa this weekend.

I'm not going.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 11:17 PM
How close is that to all of you in that area??

Jimmy, Diane, Pat, Vanessa and Dave???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on March 10, 2006 10:49 AM
Weezie Fortworth is 25 minutes from me(and that's with good traffic flow!!) and Tulsa is about 4 hours I wouldn't mind going to Tulsa I have a niece there, But I have my grandsons this weekend and this is their week-end for Gardening lesson part 5 we have more planting to do! LOL . I may however go to RidgeMar mall the following week-end I usually don't do malls but may very well go see what the catcus society has !!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: