The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Landscaping Driveway Entrance

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: landscaping a natural pond?| Next thread: Landscaping Help! »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on April 06, 2005 05:04 PM
I am preparing to put in some flower beds at the entrance of our drive-way. What kind of flowers or plants will hold their colors starting in early spring and lasting through fall? My FH is tilling the areas out for me in large triangular shapes so that we can cut down on having to mow in these areas with the push mower. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 06, 2005 06:58 PM
I love roses!!!!
Quince bloom really early and keep right at it but have thorns also. Don't know about the zone though.
Dahlia's
Hibiscus
Marigolds?
Angelonia
Argyranthemum
Bracteantha
Calibrachoa
Cosmos
impatiens (i like the double bloom)
Nemesia
Portulaca
Torenia

I think I got carried away.

-
 -
by sam314 on April 07, 2005 05:11 AM
Any and all of the above!!

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by frustratedattimes on April 07, 2005 02:27 PM
dianthus
candy tuft

also, once you get your spring blooming plants picked, why not add others that will begin blooming later.

daisy
black eyed susan,
purple cone flower
carnations
lavender
butterfly plant
canna lillies
calla lillies

Also, plant a diff. colored butterfly bush in each flower bed as a specimen plant,

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 02:37 PM
frustratedattimes, I have been considering some sort of specimen plant and the butterfly bush did cross my mind. I was thinking maybe the three in one color bush. How big do they get? Pink, blue, and white is the color scheme I keep coming back to.

I have a couple of pink hibiscus bushes at the end that need moving, TKH. I might just plop them in the middle of the beds as a specimen plant.

Sam, I like your signature line.

I am really having a hard time deciding which flowers I want. [Eek!]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 04:12 PM
So why not alittle of everything? Then you could even have the short blooming species in there? For some reason I always like those presentations best anyway. But then I have a very short attention span. (Who would have guessed)?

-
 -
by frustratedattimes on April 08, 2005 02:14 PM
Butterfly bushes get up to 6 ft. tall. The 3 in 1 is a very good choice, gives you lots of color and conversation piece. Plus the benefit of attracting loads of butterflys. Have you thought about annuals? The red salvia is wonderful, blooms all summer long, and the hummingbirds really love em.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Dixie Angel on April 20, 2005 06:22 PM
What I have done so far with this area has not been much. The triangles have more clay in them than I thought and the tilling left "clods" of clay all over. I need to do some serious amendments out there. I may end up just starting a lasagna bed over it and letting it decompose and then start getting "serious" with it next Spring.

I have planted three "Roberta Red" azaleas in the "corners" of the triangle and a grouping of three gingko biloba trees closer to the middle. I am thinking about putting a butterfly bush in the center of each triangle. Next year maybe I can add some regular flowers.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! [kissies]

Dianna

-
 -
by detectorbill on March 25, 2006 11:21 PM
I may end up just starting a lasagna bed over it and letting it decompose and then start getting "serious" with it next Spring.

What's a lasagna bed?

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by flycats on March 28, 2006 06:03 AM
Just a suggestion, be careful that you don't block your sight-line for backing out of the driveway by putting a shrub that's too big on the corners. Coming from a traffic engineer. LOL!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: landscaping a natural pond?| Next thread: Landscaping Help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: