The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cabbage rolls?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Cabbage plant help| Next thread: cabbage root fly »
Back to Thread index
by BeckyB on June 16, 2006 11:56 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for cabbage rolls?
I'm also looking for a dirt cake recipe.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by joclyn on June 16, 2006 01:13 PM
i've got one for cabbage rolls...you'll have to wait until i locate it tho (and i'm at work at the moment).

never heard of dirt cake...
by patches1414 on June 16, 2006 07:49 PM
Hi Becky! [wavey]

I haven't seen you around lately. [Frown] I've got a an excellent recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls, but the Polish people call them Golumki. Since I haven't made them for a while, I'll try to look it up tomorrow. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by cinnamon on June 21, 2006 04:24 AM
Dirt Cake

Ingredients:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 large instant vanilla pudding
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
3 -1/2 c. milk
1 pkg. Oreo's
8 oz. Cool whip

Instructions:
Crush cookies to dirt in either blender or food processor.
Set aside.
Cream butter, cheese & sugar.
Mix pudding & milk according to instructions.
Add cream cheese mixture to pudding
Fold in cool whip.
Layer cookies, then filling, ending with cookies on top. Refrigerate

Cinnamon
"If you take time to pray, God has time to listen"
by princessazlea on June 21, 2006 06:04 AM
Mom's Cabbage Roll's
Becky I googled this, hope this helps although it says in a dutch oven [dunno]

1 Large head of cabbage
1 to 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup instant rice or cooked rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon. divided (more or less, to taste)
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) tomato soup undiluted
1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes

PREPARTAION:

Tear the leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible. Cool. Mix ground Beef,rice,egg,onion, and salt,pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together.
Form a few tablespoons of the mixture into a cylinder, then roll up in a cabbage leaf. Secure rools with toothpicks. Combine the soup and tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Place cabbage rolls in the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serves 6. [grin]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by penny in ontario on June 22, 2006 07:40 AM
Thats pretty much how i make them and if i am feeling really lazy, i just throw it all in a pot and cook them and its a cabbage casserole instead and just as yummy!

-
 -

-
by Tonya on July 14, 2006 04:39 AM
I found a lot of recipes, but not the one I wanted...I handed the printout to a friend...try going to cooks.com and searching there...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by joclyn on July 14, 2006 02:05 PM
i'm sorry!!! i never got to this!! it's a very easy recipe.

i always just eyeball things when it comes to measurements - so sorry for the kind of vagueness on that [Smile] (my great-grandmom cooked the same way...this is here recipe)

you'll need a large head of cabbage - tear off the leaves and drop into a large pot of boiling water. just long enough that they wilt a bit. remove and let drain in a colander.

while you're doing that, brown some ground beef (about a pound) in a small amount of olive oil (a couple of tablespoons) - you can spice it with garlic (fresh crushed or powder) and onion (fresh chopped or powder) and some salt and pepper. i sometimes throw some basil in too.

you'll also need some rice - about 4 cups - and some tomato sauce. either jarred, canned or your own homemade stuff. just plain stuff, marinara style. or just plain sauce (canned).

and a large caserole dish or dutch oven.

when the beef is done, drain if necessary and mix with the rice in a large bowl. you want the mix to be more meat than rice, so don't put all the rice in at one time [Smile] mix in half and if you need more, add it. anything left over can be frozen (reheat in microwave. just dribble with a bit of water and heat on high for a couple of minutes, mix and heat another minute and it'll be like it was just cooked).

put some sauce in the bottom of the baking pan (so they don't stick) and then take a leaf and spoon in the meat/rice mix (about a tablespoon - maybe a little more if the leaf is really big and less if the leaf is smaller). place the meat at the end opposite of where it was connected to the core and then roll the leaf up. roll once and then tuck the sides in and continue rolling. place in the pan with the lose edge up. continue filling the leaves and placing them in the dish. once you get a layer done you put some of the sauce on top. do as many layers as you need and make sure to put some sauce in between each and end with sauce on top (you don't need to completely drench with the sauce, you just want to add some moisture so nothing dries out).

cover the dish and then bake at 375 until the sauce is bubbly...you can stick a knife in one of the rolls in the center of the dish to make sure it's heated through.

you can add some sauce to the meat mix too, if you want. even a small can of stewed tomatoes.

once cooked, they can be frozen in plastic containers and reheated in the microwave...they're great for bringing in to work for lunch.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cabbage plant help| Next thread: cabbage root fly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: