The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What's eating Gilbert Grape?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by floweringchild on August 25, 2006 05:18 AM
Okay folks, it's not Gilbert Grape here, instead, my Tibouchina.

The plant starts with this substance.

-

Then, starts looking like this.

-

I have seen a few critters on my leaves. This morning, I saw this little guy. Only one though.

-

The other day I saw this fella.  -

So, I need some help. Is this some sort of leaf fungus or what?

What is eating my Tibouchina? Or do I possibly have two separate things going on here?

Thanks

P.S. Can anyone identify what kind of caterpillar this is, and, what the other bug is? I'm wondering if a Tibo is a butterfly food plant source. [Roll Eyes]

Stephanie

-
 -
by Tomacco on August 25, 2006 06:21 AM
Stephanie, Your little guy looks like what I found on my potted petunia along with a trail of black turds. Many of the leaves turned totally brown and withered. Maybe they're not the same type of c'pillar. I'm looking here right now:
http://www.javajane.co.uk/Smooth/index.html
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/america/smooth.htm
http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars

Catalpas family?

I do know when I picked one of them up, I was left with an staining inky-colour mess on my finger that was a bit hard to wash off.

Mmmm. Love a good mystery! You take great photos!

Tomacco
by floweringchild on August 26, 2006 06:57 AM
Hi tomacco [wavey]
Thanks for your response and compliment regarding my photos! [Wink]

I checked the live links you provided. I could not match my caterpiller to any on those links. Do you or others think my leaf damage is the result of the caterpiller or maybe the other bug? What is the other bug?

I recently saw a birdwing grasshopper in my back garden. I read that grasshoppers eat plant leaves. Do they eat certain leaves? My bleeding heart has holes as well as my ornamental potato vines. No brown stuff though. [Roll Eyes]

But this substance on my Tibo appears as a brown substance, then webby looking leaves, then holes.

Help [dunno]

-
 -
by floweringchild on August 28, 2006 03:46 PM
Are there others who can give an educated guess as to what's eating my Tibo? Fungus, bugs, or insects?

I'm really not into using pesticides or chemicals in my garden. [Frown] [shocked] Dunno what to do. [scaredy] Suggestions on that as well?

-
 -
by flycats on August 29, 2006 09:55 AM
Tobacco budworm probably. Or some kind of other worm/caterpillar. Use that BT bacterial insecticide. It works great. I get them a lot on geraniums and petunias.

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by floweringchild on October 06, 2006 06:16 AM
Hi all! [wavey]
I'm at it again as to what's eating Gilbert Grape, i.e., my Tibochina. I caught this little creature on my plant today. Soo, I think I'm going to rule out fungus or insects.

-

I would like to know what the name of this caterpillar is please. Flycats, I checked out Tobacco budworm, it is not that.

Here's a closer pic after I removed it from my plant.
It has distinct markings, hopefully that will help!

-

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: