The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning glory bloom problem....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: morning glory and moon vine| Next thread: Morning Glory clippings »
Back to Thread index
by Debra on July 21, 2004 12:22 AM
Any pointers on getting morning glories to bloom? I have never had this problem. The soil they are in is more sandy than not. The temps around here get up to 104 sometimes and I have found if I don't water every day that they wilt. They are growing great, but no flowers. I use miracle grow regular or miracle grow to promote blossoms. What can I do to get blossom growth?????
by weezie13 on July 21, 2004 06:08 AM
Debra,
What's the number's on your Miracle Grow..
*Both*

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by alankhart on July 21, 2004 05:29 PM
Fertilizing MG's is a sure way to get them not to bloom because the nitrogen causes them to expend all their energy growing leaves. They prefer very lean soil and heat....so stop the fertilizing. It isn't necessary to water them just because they are wilting (if they are in the ground)..it's their way of conserving moisture in the heat. They usually pop back when the sun goes down. I rarely give mine extra water unless it hasn't rained for quite a while and mine bloom like crazy. The extra moisture probably isn't hurting though. Hope this helps.

-
 -
 -
by Debra on July 21, 2004 10:49 PM
Thanks for your input. I will try to just leave them alone for a while and just water them when needed. Do you think that this applies to other blooming flowers in the garden? I have sunflowers and roses as well. I can see the bud of the sunflower getting ready to open and they are getting bigger every day and on the roses, I am just using rose food per directions.
by Debra on July 21, 2004 10:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Debra,
What's the number's on your Miracle Grow..
*Both*

Weezie

15-30-15 for regular MG I threw away the box for the blooming type, but it is a different ratio. I have used MG in the past when I lived in the bay area with richer soil with very good results. But when I moved to the central valley area, the soil is more sandy and it does not seem to work the same. It even caused the color to fade in the new blooms on some rose bushes I tried to use it on. When I stopped, the color came back on the next batch of blooms?????? I do have sunflowers, roses, mints, alyssum, marigolds, lavender and geraniums in the same garden. The geraniums in the garden (not the containers) are also not doing very well. The blooms die before opening and some of the leaves are yellow around the edges. The ones in the pots are nice and green with good blooms????
by clogger on August 03, 2004 09:09 PM
I also have morning glories and also have had no blooms, this year and also last year. The plant is very bushy, healthy green leaves but no blooms. I do not use Miracle Grow or any other fertilizer. What's wrong and how can I remedy this and get it to bloom?
by Barb H. on August 04, 2004 08:53 PM
My morning glories were late bloomers too this year...i almost thought i'd miss out on the flowers this year. They started blooming about three weeks ago.

Perhaps i'm mistaken, but i thought they'd be blooming from late June onward.

Barb

-
by plants 'n pots on August 05, 2004 04:59 AM
My morning glories just started blooming yesterday! I've only grown them one other summer, and they were late bloomers then too. I was surprised to see that both the Heavenly Blue, and the pink ones I got in a trade a few years ago both had their first blooms yesterday!

-

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by gardenmom32210 on August 05, 2004 05:13 AM
They are really pretty Lynne [flower] I like how they're blooming together.

Karen [grin]
by Judy50 on August 07, 2004 09:05 PM
My Morning Glories also have put out prolific vines this season, but no flowers. I did add a bit of compost to the soil at planting. Has anyone had luck adding phosphorus to aid blooming (as opposed to a balance fertilizer that would add nitrogen and only promote more leaves)?

Judy50
by Lily789 on August 11, 2004 01:40 AM
My morning glories seem to be doing the opposite. I planted 'Fly Saucers' last spring and they grew into a few, thin, pale vines with only a few small leaves. Not very healthy-looking either. But however, they bloom like crazy. I don't get it. [dunno]

~Lily

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: morning glory and moon vine| Next thread: Morning Glory clippings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: