The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Old Seeds...Peruvian Four O'clock

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Old problem, new year...| Next thread: oleander »
Back to Thread index
by comfrey on November 05, 2006 02:17 PM
I was looking through a 5 gallon bucket of seeds saved from 1996, and found a pint jar of Peruvian 4 o'clock seeds.....Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a few to germinate???? I know that on some seeds that are old you can soak in warm water until the seed sinks to the bottom and get them to sprout. So does anyone know or have any ideas about how I can get a few to sprout before I even try?

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 05, 2006 08:45 PM
Have you tried the damp paper towel process? You just need to know whether they need light to germinate or not. If not put them in a closet that doesn't get any light and lay them on a damp paper towel and see if they sprout within a few days.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 06, 2006 11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Tammy...I have enough of them that I can try alot of different things to hopefully get a few to sprout....I loved these when I grew them 10 years ago...they are a big plant and I think it is an older variety. I don't think they require light to germinate, I did read about another way similar to the way you suggested, place the damp paper towel in a plastic bag and hang it from the side of the refrigerator, that way you can remember to check it and also get some heat from the fridge.

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 06, 2006 08:39 PM
That sounds like a good way too. I hope you get them to germinate.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Old problem, new year...| Next thread: oleander »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: