The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Philodendron seeds??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Philodendron question| Next thread: Philodendron Selloum »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on July 13, 2006 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bill:

quote:
According to Park Seed's book "Success with Seeds", if the seed coat of Anthuriums, Philodendrons, Ginkgo, Clivia or Corynocarpus are allowed to dry out, there is nothing in the world that you can do to make them viable again!

I have always just taken a cutting...how do you get seeds from Philodendrons??

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on July 14, 2006 07:26 AM
well of course each plant can be alittle different but here is one that explains how the seeds develop.

The flowers of Philodendron bipinnatifidum warm up to around 36°C (96°F) when they are ready for pollination. In Brazil, their country of origin, these plants are pollinated at night by a moth. The seeds then develop over several months in bubbly capsules, with about thirty seeds per capsule. In Australia tree philodendrons don't have any insect pollinators, so they don't set seed unless pollinated by hand.

there is also a society that is specific to philodendrens called International Aroid Society and they have a website. I don't want to put the name in the post because it always causes it to automatically link and I don't want to break any rules of the garden helper. but if you put that title on your search bar I'm sure it will come up.

I love working with seeds although sometimes I'm not very successful.

-
 -
by Tonya on July 14, 2006 10:36 AM
I never knew they bloomed [Confused] We are talking about this- right...

-

or something TOTALLY different??

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on July 14, 2006 12:28 PM
There are over 200 different types of Philodendrons according to what I read while researching for this topic. Some of them at least appear to be able to produce seeds. But from what I read getting them to do it so you get viable seeds is labor intensive. Evidently it is much easier to just take a cutting.

If you look up the webside for the society mentioned above I think you will find all of the information you are looking for.

Good luck on your research.

-
 -
by Tonya on July 14, 2006 03:57 PM
I have bookmarked the page and am looking into the whole seed thing. Thanks SO much for your help in this! Pretty nifty site there. Not as cool as this one, but good info!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Philodendron question| Next thread: Philodendron Selloum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: