The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need Some Help Deciding....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Need Some Help!| Next thread: need some help please »
Back to Thread index
by sandra s on October 13, 2006 01:06 PM
Ok folks, this is my dilemma...I have just put in a new patio and garden wall. I have a space about 8x4 ft that is to be a "garden area". that is, if i can ever figure out what to plant there. it is in full shade all day long. and i love [Love] love [Love] love [Love] color. its at the back of my house under a wide picture window. and other than that window, there is nothing on the back of the house. the space between the ground and the bottom of the window is about 3 ft and i want to cover as much of the open space as i possibly can. i am looking for perrenials (for each season) that are shade loving and pretty easy to maintain (no climbers). any advice??? [dunno]
by rainie on October 13, 2006 08:58 PM
I love astilbe, but it doesn't bloom long- there are tons of colors to choose from, hydrangea (niko blue) is beautiful too. A great ground cover is ajuga - it's leaves are a georgous purle color. You may want to put a couple of gold hostas in there as well. And don't forget to plant a million bulbs for spring color! I also like dead nettle as a ground cover, it's verigated on the leaves and has a pretty purple flower. Rhododendrons and Azaleas are a nice choice for a back drop (they will give you some height to work with) as will the hydrangeas. Iris's will be good for the spring as well and there are many colors to choose from.
by rainie on October 13, 2006 09:00 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot, buy a bunch of caladium bulbs - georgius foiage in every color!!
by Deborah L. on October 14, 2006 09:27 AM
Night blooming jasmine?
The fragrance drifts through the windows !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 14, 2006 09:28 AM
Oops, just re-read and saw that you want color.
Lantana?

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 14, 2006 09:30 AM
Now I see that you said shade.
Deb, too much Benadryl... [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on October 14, 2006 10:00 AM
Bill has put together a list of plants that love shade. This may help you get started.

Shade Plants

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by joclyn on October 14, 2006 11:27 AM
there's a beautiful fern that would be good for that spot...the japanese painted fern.

i really want one of the purple varieties...i don't have enough shade for it though...
by SpringFever on October 14, 2006 07:30 PM
Joclyn the purple ones do good in partial shade as well.. I have one and just love it..

You could go with bleeding hearts,canteebury bells.coral bells, bell flowers,astilbe,Hydrangia,lenten rose...

Is there some way you can post a picture of the area?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on October 17, 2006 03:41 AM
Spring fever has definitely given you a great list of shade loving plants for that area. I hope you enjoy it.

-
 -
by joclyn on October 17, 2006 05:27 AM
spring, i only have one area that gets shade...for about an hour a day and that's just not enough [tears]

maybe the chinaberry i transplanted (thx, netwiz!) will take hold and grow well enough to provide enough shade...

anyway, back to sandra's question! if you could post a pic, that really would be helpful! and does the area get any sun at all? if so, how many hours a day?

hydrangea (a bush) do very well in the shade (there are a ton of varieties, too). some clematis (a vine) also can do well in the shade (as long as they get some sun). and you can never go wrong with hosta (there are hundrends of varieties). coral bells are another that i can't have - they are absolutely lovely!!

here's a list that tammy (tkhooper) came up with earlier this summer when i posted a similar question looking for ideas for a neighbor:

Acanthopanax sieboldiana 'Variegatus'-Acanthopanax
Acer circinatum-Maple, Vine
Actaea racemosa-Black Cohosh
Actaea simplex-Bugbane
Astilbe c. 'Superba'-False Spirea
Astilboides tabularis-Astilboides
Athyrium filix-femina-Lady Fern, Uncrested
Chasmanthium latifolium-Northern Sea Oats
Corylopsis sinensis-Chinese Winter Hazel
Fuchsia magellanica-Fuchsia, Hardy
Mahonia aquifolium-Oregon Grape
Matteuccia struthiopteris 'The King'-Jumbo Ostrich Fern